Thread: The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, Israel

Real Name
    Gerald Fraser

The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, Israel

Taken with a Sony A7r2 Fe 24-70 GM lens at f/8, 1.3sec ISO 1600 set at 38 mm

The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, IsraelDSC02665 by gerald fraser, on Flickr

Would like comments please on the style

Real Name
    roy

Re: The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, Israel

Too minimalist for me I'm afraid. Too much blank space. Sorry
    Roy

Real Name
    Gerald Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    Too minimalist for me I'm afraid. Too much blank space. Sorry
    Roy
    Fine. I’m really not sure myself. It’s an experiment and I’m interested in getting reactions. Thanks for bothering

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Roy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    John

Nice experiment but not enough detail to really comment, perhaps this is the format you want image viewed but an image or object that fills the composition would be worth considering.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

When I look at the image, it looks like a badly overexposed shot of a shipwreck. Just about everything is blown out.

Negative space is a powerful compositional tool, but one needs the appropriate amount for the image to work well. In my view there is far too much in this image.

That being said there was a movement about 10 years ago that used an extraordinary amount of negative space in the image (large sky with the subject as a tiny band along the bottom). This genre did not last long, but there are still a few people shooting this way.

Real Name
    Gerald Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    When I look at the image, it looks like a badly overexposed shot of a shipwreck. Just about everything is blown out.

Negative space is a powerful compositional tool, but one needs the appropriate amount for the image to work well. In my view there is far too much in this image.

That being said there was a movement about 10 years ago that used an extraordinary amount of negative space in the image (large sky with the subject as a tiny band along the bottom). This genre did not last long, but there are still a few people shooting this way.
    Thanks for the comments:

Herea are some more images of the same wreck:

The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, IsraelDSC02651 by gerald fraser, on Flickr

The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, IsraelDSC02651 2 by gerald fraser, on Flickr

#4The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, IsraelDSC02660 by gerald fraser, on Flickr

Do any of these work for you?
    Last edited by Gerry F; 13th July 2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: didn't say anything

Real Name
    roy

Gerry First one is best for me but be careful of parts of the image kissing the horizon
    Roy

Real Name
    Gerald Fraser

Thanks Roy. Your comment about the horizon is one I won't forget.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Gerry the one thing that jumped out at me immediately with the new images that you posted is that the horizon is not level.

It is very close, but the human visual system is keyed to seeing a level horizon and if it is not, your image will look off a bit.

I dropped a horizontal guideline on you image. It's not off by much and it drops from left to right, but it is enough to be noticeable.

The rusting wreck of the fishing vessel Netz on the Habonim beach, Israel

Real Name
    Nandakumar

The other variations are nice indeed

Real Name
    Gerald Fraser

Thanks Manfred. Any comment about the images as a whole?

Real Name
    David

If this is a location you can revisit then I might feel inclined to try other angles rather being perpendicular to the wreck. Images of a section may hold the viewers attention more.

I prefer the colours in Manfred's post where he mention the horizon.