Thread: Our eyes

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Our eyes

As photographers we would miss functionality of our eyes a little bit more than most I suspect.

This week I had an episode late one evening where I started to notice “floaters” in my right eye more than usual. I started to worry when I noticed flashing lights in the same eye. A bit of googling had me in a panic as I read about retinal detachment. The following day I was unable to get an optician appointment but was urged by them to go to a&e

A&e referred me straight away to a ophthalmology clinic at a different hospital who checked me out. Luckily I have Vitreous detachment (PVD) rather than the more serious retinal detachment.

I had never heard of this apparently common condition. Importantly however the symptoms are the same as a retinal detachment (one can lead to the other) So the moral is if you see these changes get to a&e or an optician straight away. If it is retinal detachment 24 hours can make the difference between losing your sight completely or not

Real Name
    John

Re: Our eyes

Good information to share, my doctor is always asking me about floaters and is constantly checking for signs of glaucoma. Speedy recovery.

Real Name
    Dan

Glad that your case worked out well. I had flashes several years ago and e-mailed my primary care doctor about it. His response: "go to the ophthalmology department right away."

In my case, the flashes did (at least in part) stem from a very small retinal tear. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon when the ophthalmologist finished the exam and told me I had to have the tear fixed. I asked how quickly, figuring that he would say something like "within a few weeks." He looked at his watch and said, "about 5:00 o'clock."

What I learned was the vitreous separation is essentially ubiquitous among older people. It doesn't always create symptoms, but it can. More important, when the gel pulls away from the retina, it can cause a tear. That's what they thought happened to me.

The surgery was done with a laser and took only a short time. I have been fine since. I was required to have a retinal exam annually for some years.

The bottom line, which has been beaten into my head now by any number of doctors, is that ANY flashes or rapid increases in the number of floaters should be examined immediately.

Real Name
    Paul David

Another condition in the differential diagnosis is ocular migraine.

Real Name
    Richard

Happily, your condition is for the better rather than the worst. My sight is so important to me that anything wrong with my eyes sets alarm bells ringing.

I experienced floaters which went away after I had cataract surgery. They can be damned annoying and scary.

Best of luck.

BTW: it is nice to live in an area that has complete medical care. I often watch "House Hunters International" on television and I am always amazed at folks of advanced years opting to retire in some obscure third world locations. That's fine when you are healthy but with advancing years, the body does wear out

Real Name
    roy

About a month after I'd had cataract surgery, I must have spent a good hour cleaning the inside of my film camera because of the apparent bugs running about inside it.
    Roy

Real Name
    Dave

Three years ago, I suddenly realised that there was a hole in my vision in the centre of my left eye. It was most peculiar, there was nothing there, but there were no other symptoms. A rapid visit to my optometrist revealed the problem. It was another example of vitreous separation but in my case it was a macular hole - the the gel had literally created a small hole in the macular - it showed just how much we rely on that tiny spot in the middle of the retina. It my case the hole was less than 100 microns across, but it had a drastic effect on what I could see clearly. I had surgery, which involved draining the eye, doing some clever surgery (under local, ugh!), and then refilling with a gas (which is gradually replaced with new vitreous fluid).

I was lucky - I had quick and very expert surgery and though my vision is far from perfect the actual hole is gone. I am told that it is the best possible outcome I could have had, but if it had been delayed, repair would have been impossible.

It does reinforce the message - get any problems checked out as quickly as possible.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Glad that your case worked out well. I had flashes several years ago and e-mailed my primary care doctor about it. His response: "go to the ophthalmology department right away."

In my case, the flashes did (at least in part) stem from a very small retinal tear. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon when the ophthalmologist finished the exam and told me I had to have the tear fixed. I asked how quickly, figuring that he would say something like "within a few weeks." He looked at his watch and said, "about 5:00 o'clock."

What I learned was the vitreous separation is essentially ubiquitous among older people. It doesn't always create symptoms, but it can. More important, when the gel pulls away from the retina, it can cause a tear. That's what they thought happened to me.

The surgery was done with a laser and took only a short time. I have been fine since. I was required to have a retinal exam annually for some years.

The bottom line, which has been beaten into my head now by any number of doctors, is that ANY flashes or rapid increases in the number of floaters should be examined immediately.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    ...So the moral is if you see these changes get to a&e or an optician straight away. If it is retinal detachment 24 hours can make the difference between losing your sight completely or not
    Absolutely Peter.
    You are absolutely right !
    Years ago, in a similar situation the doctor made some lazer shots into the eyes. They are OK now...