Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Wacom Woes

Real Name
    Joe

Wacom Woes

I finally bought a Wacom4100w. I was looking forward to getting rid of my right- handed mouse ( I am left-handed) and being able to perform some intricate work in Photoshop. The installation went fairly well except for the surprise of having to purchase a package of drivers for my computer. The driver installation took forever as I needed to upgrade or install 55 drivers. It seemed I could not finish the install without completing the driver install.
    It took hours to complete and the next day I was anxious to try it. I haven't been able to do so as yet because my computer keeps 'acting up'. Since completing this install my computer has crashed 4 times! Each time it crashes, no click or command works. No re-boot, no ctrl alt delete, no response to anything. I could not even shut it down with the power button! Last night after it crashed the second time, after pulling the power cord and restarting, I ran a scan with McAfee and found no threats or viruses. During this crazy time last night my Driver Package informed me that I had 75 drivers which needed updating. 75! I get very suspicious when faced with coincidences, so I blame the driver package. I would remove it if I knew how. If I knew how to identify and find all the drivers it had installed.
    Frustrated!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Wacom Woes

Joe - you haven't mentioned your computer specs and operating system. I am going to assume that they meet the Wacom specs and that the other drivers are up to date. The problems you are having does sound like a driver conflict one and having that many drivers to update sounds suspiciously like there may be others that are out of date as well.

I would suggest contacting Wacom's help service to resolve this issue. Something is probably not right at a very basic level with your computer. One other warning - once you get your tablet running, there is a significant learning curve to mastering a tablet.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    ...Since completing this install my computer has crashed 4 times! Each time it crashes, no click or command works. No re-boot, no ctrl alt delete, no response to anything. I could not even shut it down with the power button!...
    That is strange. I had a similar issue yesterday with my Windows 10 PC. The mouse click stopped having any effect and the PC ended up running extremely slowly and even hanging. The keyboard however carried on normally and I could toggle through open windows with Alt+tab, but I could not use the mouse to close or minimise windows or various other things. I too had to force a shut down.

Both mouse and keyboard are wireless. Putting new batteries into the mouse made no difference so I concluded that I will need to check my mouse settings and find another driver. Having said that the same problem arose when I put the wireless transceiver into my old PC which I tend to keep up and running.

Meanwhile the keyboard continues to work but I have been using a wired mouse since which combination seems to work okay for now. But I no longer have a wired keyboard should the need arise

Real Name
    Dan

Having said that the same problem arose when I put the wireless transceiver into my old PC which I tend to keep up and running.
    That's good news, as it seems to make clear that the problem is with the wireless mouse transceiver rather than something messed up in Windows.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    That's good news, as it seems to make clear that the problem is with the wireless mouse transceiver rather than something messed up in Windows.
    Mmm...although both PCs are running Win10 which makes me wonder whether Windows Update has caused a problem.

Real Name
    Dan

Not on my PCs. But perhaps it requires an update of those specific drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post

I would suggest contacting Wacom's help service to resolve this issue. Something is probably not right at a very basic level with your computer. One other warning - once you get your tablet running, there is a significant learning curve to mastering a tablet.
    Thanks Manfred. I contacted Wacom and with their help have resolved the issue. Apparently a Driver Service company piggy backed their driver offer into the Wacom installation procedure in such a way that I was unaware that I was dealing with a third party. I updated Windows with this third party software which mucked up my system causing numerous crashes and difficulty in removing the third-party drivers. I am now back in what looks like normal operation, ( hope I am not speaking too soon) although I worry about any surprises they have left behind.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Rufus; all systems now seemed to be good.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Thanks Manfred. I contacted Wacom and with their help have resolved the issue. Apparently a Driver Service company piggy backed their driver offer into the Wacom installation procedure in such a way that I was unaware that I was dealing with a third party. I updated Windows with this third party software which mucked up my system causing numerous crashes and difficulty in removing the third-party drivers. I am now back in what looks like normal operation, ( hope I am not speaking too soon) although I worry about any surprises they have left behind.
    I'm glad that you were able to resolve this issue. I try to stick to the OEM sources for drivers as they tend to be reliable and don't carry the baggage that third party suppliers have.

Now for the hard part; getting used to using a tool that is quite different from a mouse.