Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infrared Conversion of Sony E-Mount Camera

Real Name
    Richard

Infrared Conversion of Sony E-Mount Camera

I like shooting with IR and prefer only B&W IR imagery. I converted an old Canon D60 (not 60D) to full time IR many years ago but have not really used that as much as I had planned. It is simply too heavy with a lens to carry around on the idea that I "might" come across a scenario in which IR would be appropriate (like these shots in Yosemite which I did with the D60 and Tokina 12-24mm f/4 lens).

I was considering getting a converted P&S camera for full time IR work but, I am not keen on the small sensor and the other limiting factors of the average P&S camera,

Since I have partially converted to Sony mirrorless gear, I wanted a small form factor Sony E-mount APSC camera that could share my Sony E-mount and adapted lenses. But, I wanted this at a reasonably low price since it certainly is not my main camera.

I researched the prices of a Sony A6000 to convert to IR but, finally opted for an older NEX-6 which I was able to find "reconditioned" on eBay for $180 USD. The conversion will cost approximately $200 so, I will have a functional IR camera that is light weight and can share my lenses and accessories from my A6400 and A6500 cameras for somewhere around $380. Since I am selling a lot of my Canon gear (including the old IR D60), the converted NEX-6 camera cost will come out of my profits from the used gear I have sold. So much for plans of reducing my photographic inventory

Some of the failings of the NEX-6 such as slower AF will not impact the photography that I plan for this camera. The imagery from the 16.1 mp APSC sensor camera is pretty decent. The weight of about a pound will also be a plus factor since I will be far more likely to toss this little camera in my photo vest or camera bag...

Since I am wanting only B&W IR imagery, I will opt for a 830nm conversion which will give me, IMO, the best B&W (dark skies and white foliage) but, will not allow color IR to any degree.

I will post the results from the new conversion in a new thread as soon as I get the camera in my hot little hands.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 1st August 2019 at 10:38 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: Infrared Conversion of Sony E-Mount Camera

It is difficult enough to "see" in black and white, let alone IR.

The first, particularly, is a fascinating image. It looks as though it could be winter, but of course most of the trees seem to be deciduous. The contrast provided by the IR and the composition make this a very impressive image IMHO. I imagine it would look wonderful printed on a glossy paper.

I shall look forward to seeing the results from the new camera.

Real Name
    Richard

The images were shot in late Spring...

The NEX-6 is arriving on Thursday and I will check it out first and then send it off to get it converted.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I like shooting with IR and prefer only B&W IR imagery . . . I researched the prices of a Sony A6000 to convert to IR but, finally opted for an older NEX-6 which I was able to find "reconditioned" on eBay for $180 USD.
    Have you researched what are the better lenses to use for IR on the NEX-6? I mean in regard to hot spots.

I’ve found there’s usually good info on ‘best cameras for IR conversion’ yet comparatively little on the best Lens choice.

I especially like your first photo, Richard.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

Bill...

Here is one listing of lenses from Kolari Vision.
    https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/
    However, the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX is listed as "bad" yet, I shot the above images with that lens. I will just experiment wit the lenses that I own...

Here is the lens hot spot database by Lifepixel...
    https://www.lifepixel.com/lens-consi...sting-database
    Not as comprehensive as the listing by Kolari Vision

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good images. Like Bill, I love the first one. I didn't have an IR camera with me when I visited Yosemite in 2016.

Like you, Richard, I love shooting in IR. I converted my Canon 5DMkIV (yes, I am serious about IR). I don't use it to get foliage white and blue skies dark: that's a very obvious use and one I don't like. It's a much more subtle tool and I love it for a sky full of clouds. It brings out such wonderful tones.

Picking up on Bill's post, I find the Kolari Vision website (https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/) is excellent as a guide to what lenses are good and which will not be so good. The one lens I just cannot use on the camera is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM. Others I have are from Excellent to Not Bad.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald

It's quite strange that neither the 70-200mm f/4L IS nor the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens is listed as having good qualities for IR work; while the lowly Sony 55-210 f/4.5-7.3 is listed as good for this use.

Here are a couple more images IR of Yosemite.

Like you, I like the first one that I posted best. I think that I may have a large metallic print done of that one...

This is a color version shot from approximately the same location as the first image but, shot with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens...

Here's one that I did in color with the 17-55mm lens and, later, converted to B&W...

One thing on my bucket list would be to visit Yosemite in the winter with snow on the ground and frost on the trees... t looks magical from some of the photos I have seen.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd August 2019 at 01:53 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

The first is absolutely stunning. It rekindled my latent interest in IR.

Who are you having do the conversion?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Richard, back to post #5 - thank you very much: I did not have the Kolari Vison list/link. It is a valuable resource for my dabbling in IR Photography, thanks again.

Bill

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    The first is absolutely stunning. It rekindled my latent interest in IR.

Who are you having do the conversion?
    I have not decided as of yet. The LifePixel and Kolari folks are the front runners. However, I have been in touch with a guy who works under the name Szabophotography and I am pretty impressed with our conversation. He works through eBay and has 1018 feedbacks which are 100% positive. His price is about 2/3 that of the bigger companies...

However, trying to save seventy five dollars or so when the total cost is going to be close to four hundred dollars might just be false economy... I probably should go with the known entities...

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Infrared Conversion Update

Well, the NEX-6 camera came in the mail and I was really disappointed. It had not been kept in very good condition and looked like it had been through some pretty hard knocks. The sensor was absolutely filthy and seemed a bit scratched while the rest of the camera was chipped and scratched.

Needless to say, the camera went right back to the seller the next morning... I have looked for other cameras and have come to the conclusion that I don't want to spend enough to get a good IR camera at this present time so, I am putting those plans on a temporary hold.

If I want IR, I will play with a filter - at least until sometime in the future...

Real Name
    Manoj

Sony always give best picture quality products.

Real Name
    David

Well, the NEX-6 camera came in the mail and I was really disappointed. It had not been kept in very good condition and looked like it had been through some pretty hard knocks. The sensor was absolutely filthy and seemed a bit scratched while the rest of the camera was chipped and scratched.

Needless to say, the camera went right back to the seller the next morning...
    Sorry to hear that, Richard. It was not what one might consider "refurbished" by any stretch of the imagination.

Real Name
    Richard

I am trying another camera from eBay... This time it is an NEX-7 which is supposedly in pristine condition. After I get the refund for the NEX-6 that I returned, the NEX-7 will only cost me less than a hundred dollars extra...

Real Name
    Ted

I am trying another camera from eBay... This time it is an NEX-7 which is supposedly in pristine condition. After I get the refund for the NEX-6 that I returned, the NEX-7 will only cost me less than a hundred dollars extra...
    Wishing you better luck with the -7.

Real Name
    Richard

My attempt on the NEX-6 didn't cost me anything. Free shipping both ways. So I will try the NEX-7 Actually, I probably will be better off with a 24mp image anyway...

Real Name
    Richard

Received the NEX-7 and it does look mint like the eBay listing stated.

Tomorrow, it goes of for conversion. I am looking forward to shooting with it. Because of its small size and light weight, and the compatibility with my A6xxx gear such as lenses; I know that I will get more use out of this camera than I did from the hulking big D60, which has been sold on eBay and has been shipped off

It was less than a hundred U.S. Dollars more than the cost of the NEX-6 and I received an 18-55mm kit lens in minty shape as well. I don't plan to use the kit lens often but, I could always sell it for from $50-$75 U.S. Dollars Or, I could just save it and sell it when and if I sell the A6400 or A6500...

I did purchase one accessory for this camera, an Arca Compatible "L" bracket. It only cost $9 USD with free shipping from China. I have similarly priced Chinese brackets for both my A6500 and A6400 and the work every bit as well as the RRS brackets I have for my Canon gear!

I found a great instruction book, An Instructional Guide to the NEX-7, by Thomas B. Barber as a Kindle book. I like this book because it doesn't fill up the pages with basic photography information, nor does it spend time on basic and self evident things like. how to insert the battery and how to turn on the camera. It also has a section on some parameters of the camera which will not operate if other parameters are selected.

This is the best camera instruction book (for me anyway) that I have found. I wish Mr. Barber had written similar books on the A6500 and A6400!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 13th August 2019 at 02:13 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Updated Update

Just got notice that my converted NEX-7 has been shipped and that I should get it on Friday.

Just in time for a balmy weekend that isn't really hot at all. While temperatures for where I live will be ranging around 83 degrees F. (about 28.3 C.) the temperature a few miles west towards the coast is expected to be around 75F. (23.8) which, IMO, is pretty nice shooting weather.

Going to bring the NEX-7 with an assortment of lenses and see what I end up with Hopefully, this drill will be worth it.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Updated Update

I received the camera from conversion late in the afternoon. Just a quick shot in my yard. Unfortunately no clouds in the sky...

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Updated Update

I received the camera from conversion late in the afternoon. Just a quick shot in my yard. Unfortunately no clouds in the sky...
    Not bad! 830nm seems to work for you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast