Thread: At least two reasons why I am not totally divorcing from Canon...

Real Name
    Richard

At least two reasons why I am not totally divorcing from Canon...

I really love my Sony setup with a pair of small APSC cameras which both have Eye-AF, even animal Eye-AF and my small collection of lenses for the E-mount cameras are really neat. However, there are a couple of things (actually more than two) that I really like about my heavier Canon gear.

First, I have fallen in love with the older Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro lens that was built to Angenieux specifications. I especially like it for shooting people. This was done with the Tokina on a crop sensor Canon 7D2. I was at 28mm which is roughly an equivalent 45mm and shows little distortion when shooting people...

Second, I love the touch focus and shoot in the live view mode of my 6D2 when shooting indoors. I like using it with a stylus to isolate the portions of my image that I want in focus for focus stacking. Sony has a touch focus on the LCD screen but, not a focus and shoot capability. This was shot using the my 6D Mark-2 with a 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens (which I could actually list as another reason I am keeping my relationship with Canon). The lens has some wonderful close focusing capabilities...

In the old days when the purpose for African Safaris was to kill animals, the rifles used for giant game were extremely heavy. In fact, the common practice was to use a native gun bearer to carry the heavy gun for the hunter. Now if I could only have a "camera bearer" on my "photo safaris", I would be a lot happier with the heavier DSLR gear than I am now My wife is quite happy to stroll around with me as I shoot pictures when we travel but, I think (know) that she would balk if I asked her to carry my cameras. In fact, I'd probably be the recipient of some very choice comments

I fondly remember the days when I was physically able to carry two or sometimes even three full size cameras and an assortment of lens and flashes and still have the energy to walk around for a full day. I am feeling more healthy than I have in a while so, I am doing a studio shoot tomorrow with a dancer that I have photographed before. Since it is an indoor shoot, I an going to bring both my Canon gear and my Sony gear in a rolling case. That way I have access to both types of gear. Weight in this instance is of no consequence...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 3rd August 2019 at 03:16 AM.

Real Name
    John

Re: At least two reasons why I am not totally divorcing from Canon...

Nice captures and summary, I too used to carry a lot of gear, still do but usually only a few times of during the year and usually when comparing two different camera models. I've gotten back into carrying a bit extra and one thing I've done differently is I do a bit of stretching prior to the trip, even when carrying fewer items and I usually do a rub down of the muscles afterwards; perhaps the wife won't balk at providing that service.

Re: At least two reasons why I am not totally divorcing from Canon...

Richard that is an awesome model of a small town! I had to double-check that is was, in fact, not an interpretation of the real thing. Great shot and many kudos to the builder. Where is that taken?

Glad you are adapting to the evolution of life and still using and enjoying your skills - I don't know about you, but I didn't have photography I would be a sad and sorry nutter...