Thread: One Of The Oldest Canon DSLR Cameras

Real Name
    Richard

Photographing One Of The Oldest Canon DSLR Cameras For eBay

The Canon D60, as far as I can figure out, was the third DSLR. and second APSC sensor DSLR, introduced by Canon. The first was the APSC D30 which was introduced in 2000 and was followed by the APSH sensor 1D which was introduced in late 2001. The D30 was replaced by the D60 in 2002.

One Of The Oldest Canon DSLR Cameras

The D30 and D60 DSLR cameras should not be confused with the later 30D and 60D cameras which were introduced a lot later in the Canon DSLR time frame. Although this was a crop sensor (1.6x) APSC camera, like the Canon, APSC sensor 10D, which followed in in 2003, it could not mount EF-S lenses, only EF glass.

However, despite being an "ancient" camera (in the time-line of DSLR gear) this camera can capture very decent imagery and has many of the features of the newer DSLR cameras. I had this camera converted to full-time infrared about ten years ago and have gotten some very decent captures using it.

My strategy was to concentrate on what the camera could still do, rather than on the camera itself. Folks might be put off at a 15-year old DSLR with a 6.3 mp sensor. However that size sensor can produce quite decent prints of 11x14 inches and possibly larger while the included images show that I keep my gear in very clean shape...

Since I am in the process of getting a Sony NEX-6 converted to IR in order to get a lightweight IR camera that will work seamlessly with my Sony e-mount glass. The D60 camera is now on eBay. I did the photography using a light tent. https://www.ebay.com/itm/153589675964

BTW: When shooting large numbers of images for Bay/craigslist sales. Using a light tent is a very quick way to facilitate shooting the images. While, you can obviously do a better job setting up the lighting for individual pieces of gear, there are very few ways to shoot a wide range of gear that quickly and easily. I have two light tents (one smaller and one larger) they cost me less than twenty dollars each on eBay and I light the products with two very old White Lightning studio strobes and shoot with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 (non-L) macro lens.

Each of the tents come with three colored background drops (red, black and blue) and you have a plain white background without using any of the colored drops. You can, of course, substitute lengths of any type or color fabric for the supplied backdrop material. I would normally have used my smaller light tent for the cameras/lenses I was selling; except that some of the items that I was shooting that day were quite big, so I opted to use the larger tent. As I mentioned, speed is really necessary attribute when shooting large numbers of eBay items, exceptionally creative photography takes a second place (IMO) to speed of shooting. Like the old saying, "Time is Money"

So far, I have sold four lenses that I photographed with the light tent. Here is one that sold at quite a decent price...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 3rd August 2019 at 04:32 PM.

Re: Photographing One Of The Oldest Canon DSLR Cameras For eBay

Richard that is a fine image of the falls taken in Infrared! I am envious...

I am a fan of older cameras. My oldest DSLR is the 400D, and while I have many newer bodies, I still enjoy taking photos with the venerable 60D's (I have 3, but that's another story). Like you I am fastidious about keeping my gear clean and protected. Almost every body and lens is stored in its original box (along with packing, docs etc.) and they all have filters and lens hoods.

It's funny how a piece of gear stick with one... Maybe it's associated with the memories of first using them, but I like the feel of the controls and I think I can still get acceptable photos from them and that's OK for me.

Glad your efforts to downsize are making progress!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Nice write up, Richard.

I used a D60, looked at one second hand - thinking now, I should have bought it and kept it as a piece of history. But sorry, I am not a potential buyer for yours, that time has past, I have my 20D my keep-sake historical bit of gear now.

I am glad that you mentioned the point of the Canon EF-S Bayonet Mount: The 300D was the first EOS APS-C Format camera to accept the, then new, EF-S Bayonet Mount Lenses, the 20D was the first Canon EOS xxD model (i.e. the EOS 10D only accepted EF Bayonet Mount Lenses).

It's a common remark now to refer to the Canon EF-S Bayonet Mount as being synonymous with Canon APS-C Format Cameras - such statements as 'EF-S lenses fit all Canon APC-S Cameras' are common on www and forums - clearly that is incorrect.

Good luck with your sales, whoever buys your gear will certainly get well loved equipment.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 27th August 2019 at 11:56 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Bill...

You are correct in saying,

"It's a common remark now to refer to the Canon EF-S Bayonet Mount as being synonymous with Canon APS-C Format Cameras - such statements as 'EF-S lenses fit all Canon APC-S Cameras' are common on www and forums - clearly that is incorrect."

The first three Canon APSC sensor cameras were: D30, D60 and 10D. These all had EF mounts (which are normally associated with full frame DSLR cameras). The first camera Canon introduced with an EF-S mount was the 20D,

It is strange that Kolari Vision lists the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX lens as being incompatible with infrared. I have always liked this lens on the 30D. The Tokina is somewhat a strange bird. It is designed to cover an APSC format but, it is an EF mount lens. That made it perfect in my eyes to use on my infrared D30. I tested it and I never had any problems with hot spots using this lens.

Here is a shot of my home done with the converted D60 wearing the 12-24mm Tokina ATX. I think that the image looks kind of like a miniature:

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I think that the EOS 300D was the first Canon DSLR to use the EF-S Bayonet Mount the 300D was released about 11 months before the 20D.

Kodak’s involvement in the development of the DSLR:

In 1982 Kodak introduced their ‘KODAK Disc’ cameras. These cameras formed the basis for digital imaging. In 1986 Kodak invented the world's first megapixel sensor.

In 1990 Kodak announced the development of their ‘Phtoo CD’ system enabling digitized images displayed on television screens.

In 1991 The KODAK Professional Digital Camera System (DCS) was introduced.

The first camera produced was the DCS-100 this was a Nikon F3 SLR body with a modified motor drive MD-4 and redesigned focusing screen. The camera supported a cloned Kodak digital peripherals to it.

Canon Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras:

Canon also collaborated with Kodak DCS and that collaboration reaped three digital SLR Cameras in 1995 (in order of release):

> Canon EOS DCS 5
    > Canon EOS DCS 3
    > Canon EOS DCS 1

I am reasonably confident that there were three versions of each camera model, each using suffixes – ‘c’ = colour; ‘m’ = monochrome black and white; and ‘IR’ = infrared monochrome. These cameras supported KODAK digital components cloned onto a Canon EOS 1-n body.

With three more years TR&D Canon released in 1998 (in order of release):

> EOS D2000
    > EOS D6000

The D6000 was released only in Japan but a few found their way to Australia, so I suspect there would have been some in Europe and the USA also. At the time the D6000 was lauded as the world’s flagship digital camera.

It wasn’t until 2000 that Canon released their EOS D30. This was advertised as ‘affordable' and it was a self contained, integrated DSLR.

In 2001 the EOS 1D was released.

Followed, in 2002 with the EOS D60 and also the EOS 1Ds was released later that year.

Then followed (in order): EOS 1Ds (2002); EOS 10D (2003); EOS 300D (2003); EOS 1D MkII (2004); EOS 20D (2004); EOS 1Ds MkII (2004); EOS 350D (2005); EOS 1D MkII N (2005); EOS 5D (2005) . . . et al.

WW

Real Name
    Richard

You are totally Bill, I had forgotten about the Canon 300D. That camera with its cheap (but, fairly decent) kit lens opened up digital photography for the masses. If memory serves me correctly (which lately had become somewhat a problem) this was the first relatively inexpensive digital camera. I never bought one. The first digital camera that I owned was the 10D and the only venture that I made into the xxxD field was the Caonn 350D or Canon XT. That was the only Canon camera that I actively disliked...

My first venture into full frame photography was with a 5D Mark-2 which I got a good deal on from a pro photographer who was converting to the 5D Mark-3. I liked that camera in a lot of ways...

Real Name
    Richard

The D60 has been bid upon so it will sell...