Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old, dilapidated bridge

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Old, dilapidated bridge

I came across this a couple of years ago when walking on the Mawwddach estuary in west Wales. I liked the sense of decay and of nature taking over again.
    now that Tinypic is about to close, I tried uploading from Flickr, but it wouldn't work for me.

Old, dilapidated bridge

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Old, dilapidated bridge

I like the dreamy feeling it induces... lovely!!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

"Edit the post", then tick mark the column suggesting 'delete the post in this manner'. then click "delete the post". I am not sure whether this is applicable to the original post or to following comments only.

I agree with Nandakumar.

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Thanks Nandakumar, but when I select "Edit/Delete" I get the post with the option of changing the text, but I can't find a delete option.
    Might have to leave it posted.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I like the simplicity of it. Lovely.

To post from Flickr......
    1. On flickr when viewing the image click on the download icon bottom right. Select "view all sizes"
    2. Select the size you wish to post. Right click and select "copy image location"
    3. in CiC click on the "insert image" icon above the text box. Paste the link you copied in (2) into the dialogue box and click OK.

Real Name
    Sharon

Beautiful composition. Love it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A very nice image Derek. I wonder if cropping a bit more off the top might not be worth considering? I find that area is quite bright and is getting to be a touch distracting.

Old, dilapidated bridge

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I would love to see another capture of it at a very slow shutter speed so the grasses get blurred as they get blown around by a gentle breeze

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Thanks, Peter, Might try again later today.

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Thanks, Manfred. I had already cropped quite a lot off the top of the image, and I wanted to retain a feeling of leading to somewhere, even if on a totally unsuitable bridge.

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I would love to see another capture of it at a very slow shutter speed so the grasses get blurred as they get blown around by a gentle breeze
    That would have been an interesting image, but I don't carry a tripod when I'm out for a walk. I tried to emulate what you're suggesting by adding some soft focus and Orton effect, which gave a dreamy effect.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I can understand the logic behind the framing. The two questions I would ask are:

1. Does the concept work?; and

2. Does this make for a stronger image?

In my view, the answer is "no" to both questions. For the first point, there really is no clear pathway at the other side of the bridge and there is no place for the viewer to infer that this is the case. Had there been a building visible in the distance, that tie-in might have been appropriate.

For the second question, the area is bright and attracts the viewer's attention, which takes away from the bridge. Perhaps had you burned the grasses down a bit in post, that could have been more effective.

Real Name
    David

I feel there is an implied footpath where the palest grasses are which provides a continuation from the bridge to the top right area of the image. Perhaps an angled graduated filter would assist with the top portion being pale.

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I feel there is an implied footpath where the palest grasses are which provides a continuation from the bridge to the top right area of the image. Perhaps an angled graduated filter would assist with the top portion being pale.
    Not sure what the slight changes in tonality are, a long lost path? Impossible to say.
    My answers to Manfred's two questions are "yes" to both. The bridge would have led to something and I prefer the feeling of space over the bridge in my version. I think Manfred's crop is a little cramped.
    Just fdifferences of opinion at the end of the day.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    On similar lines, I found the brightness of the grass seed taking emphasis away from the old bridge.

So I attacked the image by reducing the contrast of smaller objects in the 1 to 8 pixel range using wavelet processing. This gave an effect similar to blurring by movement whilst leaving the bridge relatively unscathed:

Old, dilapidated bridge
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 8th August 2019 at 05:20 PM.

Real Name
    Derek Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    On similar lines, I found the brightness of the grass seed taking emphasis away from the old bridge.

So I attacked the image by reducing the contrast of smaller objects in the 1 to 8 pixel range using wavelet processing. This gave an effect similar to blurring by movement whilst leaving the bridge relatively unscathed:

Old, dilapidated bridge
    Wow. You will have to explain to me what this means. How do you process objects only in the 1-8 pixel range, and what is wavelet processing?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by derekphil View Post
    Wow. You will have to explain to me what this means. How do you process objects only in the 1-8 pixel range, and what is wavelet processing?
    It's a function in RawTherapee (RT) but I think it can be added to the GIMP. Don't know about Adobe though.

The "simple" function in RT is Contrast By Detail Levels (CBDL) as explained here:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Con..._Detail_Levels

RT also has a complete separate tab with more complex processing - Contrast, Chromaticity and more:

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Wavelets

The basis is the splitting of an image into 'layers' with different detail sizes, namely 1, 2, 4, 8 ... 1024px and being able to edit each layer separately. For example, I can increase micro-contrast by using the 1px or 2px size or, on the other hand, increase cloud contrast by using the 512 or 1024px size.

HTH.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 9th August 2019 at 02:41 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Old, dilapidated bridge

“HTH”?

Is this approximated by frequency separation in Photoshop? I’ve only glanced at that but have been meaning to study it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast