Thread: Uyuni Salt Flats Pano

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Uyuni Salt Flats Pano

After sitting on this for months, I finally completed a 20 shot panorama of the Uyuni Salt flats. This is close to a 180° view. Full size seems to be around 122 cm x 840 cm / 48" x 330", but my printer can't quite handle that (nor can the wall I want to put it on), so I'm going to downsize it to a mere 17" by 8.5 ft before printing, if I can figure out a way of mounting it so that I can get it home and down the stairs. Just hanging it using rare earth magnets with steel implants in the wall is another option...

The stuff in the foreground is a vast sheet of water that is no more than a few centimeters (perhaps 1-1/2") deep. Salt crystals stick out all over the place. To me it looks the same as a huge sheet of wet ice, but it's not at all slippery.

Uyuni Salt Flats Pano

Final result took a lot of work with both Affinity Photo and Photoshop.

Re: Uyuni Salt Flats Pano

I love this.

Wow, different and interesting, Manfred. I have had such a lot of interaction and interest from three sources that I am likely to do many more panoramas. One, of these is our Affinity Photo learning group of 10 people, youngest 71yrs, oldest 88yrs are keen to learn and practice more with panoramas.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Wow, different and interesting, Manfred. I have had such a lot of interaction and interest from three sources that I am likely to do many more panoramas. One, of these is our Affinity Photo learning group of 10 people, youngest 71yrs, oldest 88yrs are keen to learn and practice more with panoramas.
    Actually Jim - I should thank you. Your comment about Affinity Photo being able to fill in the pieces better than the Adobe software got me thinking that I would use the "enhanced" versions of the raw files that did not work in ACR, with Affinity Photo. I had tried the straight versions with the results you saw in the other thread.

This is one of the more central segments and you can see that there is relatively little "hard" data that helps the software do the alignments.

Uyuni Salt Flats Pano

I want to try a couple more ideas before I lock down a final version. What I posted is "good enough", but if I can do something even better, I'll be quite happy. This is one of the shots I had in mind before we went on the trip and I was disappointed that I was unable to pull it off until today. I've probably spent a good 8 or 10 hours so far trying different ideas and this was the first one that gave usable output.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Really superb..fit to decorate a long interior wall..

Real Name
    Mike long

Beautiful, that place looks amazing.

Real Name
    Paul

Excellent shot !