Thread: Kulshan

Real Name
    Sharon

Kulshan

Named after Mount Baker (Kulshan Koma).
    Just over one year old yellow field labrador. Tall and lanky boy(as was his dad). Very strong and stubborn
    His sis may be next as I practice with my real camera.
    This photo was pretty much killed via cropping/editing.

Kulshan

Real Name
    John

Re: Kulshan

Crop is okay, lighting is a bit dramatic for such a soulful gaze.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Fur tends to work best in diffuse lighting. Hard, dramatic light is generally not used for this type of photography.

North light in closed shade is usually best.

Real Name
    Sharon

you are both correct. things are calming down and i hope to use my camera and take some time for better ...

Real Name
    Richard

Kulshan is an absolutely beautiful dog. However, shooting him close up with what appears to be a fairly wide focal length (cellphone?) distorts his nose and makes him like more like a hound than a Labrador.

As in shooting human portraits, I like to shoot dogs with a longer focal length from further away to avoid the "long nose look".

However, I have seen some folks who appear to really like the distorted noses of dogs and shoot with a wide angle lens up close to achieve the most distortion possible.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Kulshan is an absolutely beautiful dog. However, shooting him close up with what appears to be a fairly wide focal length (cellphone?) distorts his nose and makes him like more like a hound than a Labrador.

As in shooting human portraits, I like to shoot dogs with a longer focal length from further away to avoid the "long nose look".

However, I have seen some folks who appear to really like the distorted noses of dogs and shoot with a wide angle lens up close to achieve the most distortion possible.
    He is a very handsome dude. They do tend to have a bit longer noses as field labs... they don't have the big blocky heads or bodies... but yes I understand what you mean. They've been accused of having hound in them cuz they have big lab ears.. but no, they are full blood labs from a very good breeder.
    Thank you sir, for commenting and for your suggestions. Still working on them and yes it was a quick cell phone pic. Horrible way to shoot.

This is his littermate sister River... she's gorgeous with a very feisty spirit (but also a chicken in some areas). She wants to be the boss of him.= (don't all females? ;-) )
    Again, not professional portrait at all... but hopefully as I take more with my camera, I will begin to see improvements.
    Never enough time it seems.
    Kulshan
    Last edited by lovelife65; 9th August 2019 at 02:27 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

River is a beauty. I love Labs...