Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Windows 10 RAW Image Extension

Real Name
    David

Windows 10 RAW Image Extension

It has long been an irritation to me that RAW files did not preview in Windows. Yes, I know you can do without them if you use Lightroom or Bridge, but sometimes it is nice to see them in File Explorer.

In fact, I used to take both Jpeg and Raw just in order to have the preview functionality.

Now I just shoot RAW and manage everything via Lightroom.

Today I found out that Windows 10 has an app/extension that enables it to read raw files. This could be very beneficial for anyone who wished to use Photoshop without Lightroom or Bridge or who wished to be able to see their raw captures in Microsoft Photos.

I found this when looking for a suitable link to post here, should anyone be interested:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/281284...-on-windows-10

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Windows 10 RAW Image Extension

Interesting.

I have not had to download anything extra to enable me to see Nikon NEFs in Explorer. Perhaps it has been done automatically?

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Interesting.

I have not had to download anything extra to enable me to see Nikon NEFs in Explorer. Perhaps it has been done automatically?
    Same for me. I use DNG raw format and File Explorer shows the image.

Real Name
    Dan

I didn't notice because I have File Explorer set to details rather than icons. However, I just set it to icons for one of my photo folders, and it shows thumbnails of Canon raw files (*.cr2). It must be automatic, as I didn't add it manually.

I was using Windows 10 Pro, and initially it would not offer to show the images of CR2 files, then up came a popup that said my version of windows 10 was prior to mid May 2019 and needed an upgrade (for security purposes), so I did that - takes hours. THEN when I clicked on a CR2 file it offered to download the extension and when that was done, it shows the images fine.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

According to the link in post 1, you can only install Microsoft RAW Image Extension if you have Windows 10 version 1903 (May 2019). I have an earlier version but I can see previews of Canon, Nikon and Sony RAW files in File Explorer. I think this is because I have codecs for this installed (I can't remember). These however don't actually look at the raw data but rather open the jpeg embedded in the raw file. I will have to upgrade Windows and see how this new extension works but it seems to me that it may actually look at the raw data (as it uses the open source software libraw according to the Microsoft description). Libraw is a library of raw processing code modules.

When I get up the courage to do a major Windows update ...

Dave