Thread: Old gin

Real Name
    Mike long

Old gin

was driving down the road and seen this
    Old ginIMG_4946 by James Cason, on Flickr

Re: Old gin

Love the site and mood. I'm a little OCD, so falling-over perspective is a little concerning - unless you used it for effect.

Real Name
    Mike long

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    Love the site and mood. I'm a little OCD, so falling-over perspective is a little concerning - unless you used it for effect.
    Thanks, Yeah the light was beautiful and I saw it lighting this old building up and pulled over and the kids were yelling, "This is not Mcdonalds... Oh no not the camera again." I jumped out and snapped a few.
    I'm learning photoshop and played around with warp but I clearly was in over my paygrade and gave up but it did look way worse. lol, trust me.
    thanks for checking out the picture.

Real Name
    John

Nice effort, I've had quite a few shots where converging lines were also beyond correcting.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Perspective distortion should almost always be corrected and this image certainly has enough data all the way around to be able to do this.

The one thing that I do notice right away is some fairly significant pin-cushion distortion as well as some chromatic aberration. In your raw convertor, make sure you check off the boxes that correct both lens distortion and CA. Lightroom, Camera Raw, etc all have this functionality.

The other thing that I notice is that you have an extremely heavy magenta colour cast, so this is either an issue with your white balance (hint - auto white balance will often fail close to sunset). In fact I would say that is a recurring thing I notice with much of your work. As a suggestion, one "best practice" is to nail the white balance before editing. Working from a neutral base makes your life easier as you proceed, even if you are planning to add a colour grade during your work flow.

This may or may not be to anyone's taste, but I spent a few minutes dodging and burning here, played with the white balance and corrected for perspective distortion. I was less successful in correcting the pin cushion distortion and it's pretty obvious in the edges of the silos.

Old gin

Real Name
    Dan

I agree about the color cast issues and have commented on them a few times.

A simple way to get a handle on this is to carry a small neutral card. I use this whiBal, but you can buy other ones for somewhat less. Take one shot with the card under the same lighting. I don't know what software you are using, but in ACR or Lightroom, you can use the eyedropper tool on the shot with the card to get an initial white balance. It may not be what you want in the end, but it is a good, neutral starting point. In LR, you can very simply sync that white balance--the original or as you adjust it--to other images in the series.

Of course, this works better if you shoot raw, but it often works well enough even if you shoot JPEG.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I liked the mood of the image; i also liked Manfred's edit; yet i think the soil needs a bit of reflected mild pink tone, to appear more realistic?