Thread: Country Road

Real Name
    Bob R

Country Road

Well, it's been a while sense I've been here let alone upload a picture my have things changed. Not sure if you'll see it

Doesn't look like it

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Country Road

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    Well, it's been a while sense I've been here let alone upload a picture my have things changed. Not sure if you'll see it

Doesn't look like it
    Hello Bob,

If you tried TinyPic, that's been on and off for a while.

Many folks here upload their pics to somewhere else like SmugMug or, like myself, to their own website and just put a link into the post here. If you're not sure, I would be most happy to advise how to do that!

Real Name
    Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Hello Bob,

If you tried TinyPic, that's been on and off for a while.

Many folks here upload their pics to somewhere else like SmugMug or, like myself, to their own website and just put a link into the post here. If you're not sure, I would be most happy to advise how to do that!
    Thanks for the offer. But, I don't have my own website, and I no longer use the photo storage websites, as they just want too much money and I'm on a fixed budget these days. Perhaps I'll just try TinyPic and hope for the best.

Real Name
    Bill

Bob, the basic flickr account is free, gives you 1TB of storage, and there is a link that lets you post to CIC. Sign on to flickr.com, click on "create account" and follow the steps.

Real Name
    Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Bob, the basic flickr account is free, gives you 1TB of storage, and there is a link that lets you post to CIC. Sign on to flickr.com, click on "create account" and follow the steps.
    Thanks, I'll check that out, even though they deleted just over 10,000 of my photos already on their sight, said they told me that they were going to do it as they changed their rules, I missed that. So, I'll check it out anyway.

Real Name
    Bob R

OK, then, I'm replying to my own thread, hmmmm. Anyway, I did set up an free account with Flickr again, but I'm not sure how to use this to put pictures here. Is there somewhere I can go to learn the next phase

Real Name
    John

I use both Flickr and the CiC album to imbed my images in a thread, both seem to populate threads without losing the original link for quite a few years, I've noticed that as some threads age some original photos are no longer accessible.

P base, which I use Bob, is just $23 a year for a lot of space and it is relatively easy to use.

Real Name
    Bob R

[IMG]https://i63.tinypic.com/10qkxz8.jpg[img]

darn

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBob View Post
    [IMG]https://i63.tinypic.com/10qkxz8.jpg[img]

darn
    Close! Just insert a forward slash in front of the second 'img':

Country Road

It was worth the effort to get the image to show in the forum, I'd say. Well seen and composed, with the receding line of poles giving a sense of depth.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    It was worth the effort to get the image to show in the forum, I'd say. <>.
    Thanks! I hope Bob got it.

Real Name
    Ole

Well waiting for, Bob. I do like the composition. How about giving the scene a bit more punch by dodging and burning. For example darken the dirt patches a tad and also the building and 'go from there.' I think this scene could be a great one.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Nandakumar

A fine image!!!

Real Name
    Dan

A very nice composition. I agree with Ole that it needs more punch, but I think there are things to do before getting to local adjustments.

First, the histogram shows that the image is not using the full tonal range. Simply raising the black point and increasing contrast in the bottom half of the histogram using a curve yields this (quick and dirty):

Country Road

Second, the sky is rather washed out. So for a second set, I selected the sky, changed the midpoint to darken it a bit, added contrast, and increased saturation. Not so sure this is the best fix for the problem, but to illustrate:

Country Road

This is really quick-and-dirty; if I were taking time to do this right, I would have excluded the grain elevator from the edits of the sky.

So my thought is that before getting to really local edits (more local than the entire sky), I would try to give the entire image more pop with global edits.
    Last edited by DanK; 20th August 2019 at 06:27 PM.

Real Name
    Bob R

Wow! I just opened this up to try another approach, and it was there, the picture that is. Thanks for fixing the line Ted, just received another approach from Bill that is why I came to try again.

Thank you everyone for your critic. Thanks Dan for the different approach with the sky, however, the sky really is not that blue here, as a lot of dust in the air, I will go back with all your suggestions and see what I can do from here.

Real Name
    Bob R

OK, did some work, I brought up the sky some, but looking at our sky its not much of a darker blue and fooled around with the rest.
    Country RoadCountry Road 2019 2-7237-2 by Robert Ruby, on Flickr

Oh great, Tinypic wouldn't even take my photo this morning now I'm trying Flickr and that don't look right

It worked!

Real Name
    David

That is quite an improvement on the original which seemed a little washed out to me. It is a subtle change and works well.