Thread: A New Canon EOS 90D?

A New Canon EOS 90D?

According to an article in DPReview, Canon Australia aired (for a brief period) a promotional video of two Canon cameras the EOS M6MkII and the EOS90D. Apparently the video was withdrawn within minutes but of course some eagle-eyed viewer captured it.

So here is the link to the article and video if anyone has an interest:
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/409835...os-90d-cameras

Real Name
    Richard

Re: A New Canon EOS 90D?

The M6 Mk-2 video was pretty careful to only show fleeting glances of the rear of the camera but, it doesn't seem like the camera incorporates an eye level viewfinder... That is a major criteria for any camera that I use...

Hi Richard!
    I think, like several other cameras, you will be able to get an attachable EVF that sits into the hot-shoe. Still, I agree: I would not choose to get another camera which requires the EVF as an accessory - I have G3X, which has one - it works, but it's clunky and bulky.

My interest would be limited to the 90D. I think this will be the last of the line, unless they change their nomenclature, since there is already a 100D that bears no resemblance to the XXD series bodies.

Real Name
    Dan

As I still use an APS-C camera a bit, I was curious to see the 90D. They seem to have abandoned the 7D line, but it now seems like they may have merged it with the 80D line rather than just dropping it. E.g., the 90D has a joy stick.

Frankly, it seems very sensible to me to merge the high end of the consumer APS-C line with the prosumer model. With the growth of both FF and mirrorless, it seems likely that there just isn't enough of an APS-C DSLR market left to make it worth maintaining two lines. If they maintain this new merged line, they can easily come up with a new nomenclature for it.

My main interest in APS-C has been the higher pixel density, which is very useful for some applications (wildlife and macro). However, starting with the Nikon 800 years ago, there has been a movement toward increasing pixel density in FF models while maintaining low-light performance and image quality generally. By the time I replace my 5D Mark III (unlikely any time soon, unless someone steals it or runs over it), there may not be any real advantage to APS-C other than smaller size.

Hi Dan:

I had been suspecting something of the same for a while, and the Canon support website has had rumours that the merge of the two pro-sumer models would happen. it seems with the emergence of both FF and crop digital models there is probably a lack of resources and market space for two upper-end crop DSLR bodies.

The question of whether this represents the last of the line for APS-C DSLRs remains... Given that Canon (along with most ILC body makers) is seeing a plummeting of sales, it is hard to see them justifying the continuation of the line when they need to pare down and concentrate of finding a market space that the can maintain - one that I suspect lies in the MILC market, especially given that the EOS R and M series can handle legacy lenses with an adapter. The move to the digital technology is, I think, inevitable, especially as the tech improves.

So I would not be surprised if this is, indeed, the child of the union of the 80D 7DMkII into one unit.

Real Name
    Richard

Here's my two cents... Anyone pre-orderng a Canon camera is a bit daft in the head and should have taken notice of the problems with the Canon 6D Mark-2

The 6D was a very popular camera and was a bargain basement full-frame camera. It had a lot of the advantages of the big-boys at a very attractive price. When the 6D2 came out, some folks flocked to Canon thinking that this new camera should be a wonderful improvement over the already pretty good Canon 6D.

Unfortunately that didn't come to pass. As soon as people began to realize the problems with the 6D2; Canon had to reduce the price from a bit over $2,000 U.S. Dollars to around $1,300 U.S. Dollars and to throw in a Canon Pro 100 printer. Adorama even sweetened the pot with an SD card and some other goodies. The folks who had pre-ordered were left holding the bag because they had purchased the 6D2 at the full (over two grand) retail price

It turned out that Canon had gone a cheap route and dropped the focusing system of the crop-sensor 80D directly into the 6D2 with no modifications. This resulted in ALL of the focus points being crammed into the center of the frame

A New Canon EOS 90D?

Sure the 6D2 had the wonderful Canon dual pixel AF all over the frame but, you had to be viewing in live-view to take advantage of that. The face detect worked great also, EXCEPT you had to use that in live view also. I don't know about other folks but when shooting the the bright California sun, live viewing on the LCD is pretty darn nearly impossible for me

I did a work-around and purchased a SWIVI viewfinder. This is a great way to use live view but, it is a pretty bulky setup.

A New Canon EOS 90D?

And oh yes, did I mention that the dynamic range of the 6D2 was not as good as the 6D that it replaced

The 6D2 is another "last of the line". It was the last Canon I will ever buy

It was the 6D Mark-2 that started me on Sony mirrorless gear and I couldn't be happier although the learning curve has been pretty steep for a 79 year old geezer like me...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th August 2019 at 03:08 AM.

Hi Richard:

I have certainly never pre-ordered ANY camera in my photographic career, and while I recognize your frustration with the 6DMkII - as many others expressed too - part of the issue is how one focuses. I tend to use very few focusing points - I use back-buttons to focus and get an exposure lock and then recompose, so for ME the number of focus points is neither here nor there. I have WAY too much money invested in Canon gear to give it up now and I am happy with the system for my own needs.

You are right, that Canon configuration is pretty bulky!

I'm glad you have found your niche with Sony and wish you happy shooting with it in the future.

Real Name
    Richard

Sony came out with the A6400 - which stole the thunder from the Canon M-50. I "think" that the A6400 was an expedient to put a camera on the market that would compete with the M-50... The big problem with the A6400 was the lack of IBIS. I think that Sony just floated the A6400 (which is basically a redone A6300) just to see how the new auto focusing system will float. It floated very well.

Now that Canon is coming out with their 90D, Sony is expected to introduce two new APSC cameras tomorrow. If these specs are real this camera will solve many of the problems with previous Sony APSC models...

The proposed specs are:

Sony A6700 Rumored Specification

1. AF is vastly improved with Eye tracking, you can call the cam a mini A9
    The A6400 with firmware 2.0 is top line in the AF department. The continuous eye AF is fantastic. Sure you can focus and recompose but, doing so is difficult with fast moving subjects like ballet dancers or ice skaters, not to mention dogs that are running. IMO, continuous Eye-AF is just another step in the evolution of auto focus which other camera systems are striving to emulate. Do I absolutely need Eye-AF? NO! But, then again, I didn't absolutely NEED auto focus at all and I was quite content with manual focus film SLR cameras...

2. Better low light performance, standard ISO do touch the 51200 mark
    Doesn't interest me a great deal but, it will be a selling point. But, this may mean even better performance at lower (but, still pretty high) ISO levels like 6400 or so...

3. New 4K HDR, 4K 60p is for limited time in test versions
    Again, this doesn't interest me but, would be important to video folks and this is one of the improvements that they have been craving.

4. Compatible with UHS II
    Nice for quicker writing and for me quicker download to my computer. NOTE: I personally don't see the need for dual card slots on an APSC camera. If I were shooting events professionally (when dual card slots are almost a requirement), I would be using a Sony A7iii camera which (IMO) is more suited to professional work...

5. 1/8000 shutter, faster Continuous Shooting
    This is important for me since I often cannot shoot wide open in bright sun with an f/1.4 or even f/1.8 aperture

6. 2x Improved Battery Life
    Not important to me since I shoot only stills and have several batteries. In fact I would prefer the original battery when shooting with two cameras. But, the battery life has been a bone of contention among Sony shooters.

I was thinking about a full-frame Sony mirrorless because I wanted 1/8000 second shutter speed. However, if the new Sony suits my needs, I will most likely sell my A6500 and shoot with the new model and the A6400. Crop sensor is fine for my uses...

MOST OF THE ABOVE (battery excepted) HAS BEEN SMOKE AND MIRRORS

I have been selling most of my Canon gear and have gotten some very good prices. Switching to Sony 100% is not costing me as much as I had expected (still not cheap though). I will most likely keep one of my Canon cameras because I absolutely love my Canon mount Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 ATX Pro lens. Since I would not get a great price for my old Canon 40D (or the Tokina); that is probably the camera that I will keep for occasional use with the Tokina lens...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th August 2019 at 03:54 PM.

Back on topic the 90D and M6DII have been officially announced.

Real Name
    Richard

The ability to use face tracking with the eye-level viewfinder is exciting. This is something that Canon has needed for a long while...

Real Name
    Russell

Maybe worth watching for those wildlife/bird photographers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVFL1ZmHKg

Real Name
    Richard

Am I correct in thinking that this is a dual DSLR AND MIRRORLESS camera?

The 90D is a conventional DSLR

The EOS M6DII IS a Mirrorless camera and , in fact it has no built-in EVF, you get that as an add-on device that couples to the flash shoe.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-of...os-m6-mark-ii/
    Last edited by Tronhard; 29th August 2019 at 09:27 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

I didn't think that there was a possibility of a combined mirrorless camera/DSLR but, that is what Peter Gregg of Miami was spouting from his "Christmas Room YouTube: set...

Using an add-on EVF on the camera hotshoe seems like a terrible idea... What happens if you want to use a flash?

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I didn't think that there was a possibility of a combined mirrorless camera/DSLR but, that is what Peter Gregg of Miami was spouting from his "Christmas Room YouTube: set...

Using an add-on EVF on the camera hotshoe seems like a terrible idea... What happens if you want to use a flash?
    I have the Canon Powershot G3X, which has a similar configuration, i.e. an add-on EV. This camera is a superzoom - 600mm equivalent, with a 1" sensor, so for me it is a step up from the SX60HS bridge camera with its much smaller sensor. With a focal length that long I can't see how one can hold it steady to get a decent shot without using the 3rd point of support granted by a viewfinder. The add-on EV works but it makes the camera very bulky and being an attachment I am afraid of damaging the connection, so I had to get it its own holster. As far as an EV and flash go... no go! That said, I suspect one is not likely to use a very long focal length with a flash so removing the EV and using the rear screen may be practical.

Could Peter Gregg be referring to the live view function of a DSLR - i.e. raising the mirror and using the rear LCD as a live view screen?

Real Name
    Dan

Could Peter Gregg be referring to the live view function of a DSLR - i.e. raising the mirror and using the rear LCD as a live view screen?
    That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Frankly, the only thing in this release that seems to me to matter much is that there is no 7D III and that the 90D includes the joystick that is present on the 7D series and all the Canon FF cameras other than the 6Ds. This implies to me the end of a distinct pro/semi-pro APSC line and that Canon has decided that two lines, the Rebels and the XXDs, are sufficient in this market. That makes sense to me given the growing use of both FF DSLRs and MILCs and the growing availability of FF cameras with high pixel densities, but it may require some adaptation for some people who rely on high pixel density, e.g., wildlife photographers and some macro photographers.

Down the road, it may matter to me, but I am not close to replacing bodies now, so I will just wait.

Real Name
    Richard

I am sure that's what Peter Gregg was referring to. I'd have to watch the video to make sure but, while Peter is amusing, viewing his videos twice takes a braver man that I am His mind must be slipping since poor Jingles met his end...