Thread: Price of photographic equipment in US

Real Name
    António Correia

Price of photographic equipment in US

Will the price of photographic equipment (and much more) in US about to skyrocket ?
    The New York Times

Real Name
    John

Re: Price of photographic equipment in US

If it does skyrocket I'm sure there will be a price stabilization over time as supply will begin to increase and demand will temporarily decrease.

Real Name
    Dan

Things from China will cost more. Things from other countries will cost more if the have a lot of parts from China or materials from other countries that have been hit by trump tariffs. Since the cost from the manufacturer is only a portion of the cost to the consumer, we should see smaller increases than the percentage of the trump tariffs. Because this is not a price increase caused by an increase in demand, there is no reason to expect an increase in supply that would drive prices back down. On the contrary, the tariffs should lower demand, like any other price increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DanK; 25th August 2019 at 02:22 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

But if the expected recession arrives, folks may not have the money for new gear. And Trump has already said that a recession is good for him because he can buy property cheaply

I am glad I live in New Zealand, it's SO much simpler... everything cost a lot more all of the time.

Real Name
    James

I am glad I live in New Zealand, it's SO much simpler... everything cost a lot more all of the time.
    I suspect it will soon be much the same here in the UK

Real Name
    Richard

I have a photography friend from the U.K. who has recently sold her house there. She says that she has really taken a combination beating Low price for the house combined with a low exchange rate for the U.K. Pound along with a tax beating because she has not lived in the home lately

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I think it is a more complex situation and a broader answer than refining it to the simplicity of a camera gear price rise in the USA, if the parts come from China.

Additionally, I think that the 'supply and demand' economic model will play only a minor role in determining retail prices and that determination of the changes in retail prices will not be limited to the USA.

I think that the members of the G7 (now meeting) are charged with an onerous task to direct the world’s economy such as to avoid a recession or worse, a depression; and to do so with more or less a united front.

I think that Dr Lowe (Philip Lowe, Governor Reserve Bank of Australia) summarized the situation succinctly when he was speaking at the Annual Global Monetary Policy Retreat in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, (now meeting).

Lowe noted that the world has entered a new era in which “political shocks” are becoming “economic shocks”.

“We are experiencing a period of major political shocks,”
    Dr Lowe stated at the Annual Global Monetary Policy Retreat, “Political shocks are turning into economic shocks.”

And he identified the reluctance of politicians to act as a key problem.

Dr Lowe said it will be unlikely that (the world’s) central banks by themselves, will be able to bail out the economy as they did during the recent 'global financial crisis' and this is because of the new factor of 'the increasing number of shocks'.

He cited as some: the trade war between China and the US; the impending “no-deal” Brexit; political unrest in Hong Kong; and the further leadership turmoil in Italy.

Additionally, Dr Carne, (Head of Britain’s Central Bank), singled out the US and its trade wars as responsible for the weakening global economy: “When we trace it, it’s not because of (US Federal Reserve) policy. It’s not because of global financial conditions. It’s not because of Chinese deleveraging.”

Additionally it is noted that there seems much tension between the US Federal Reserve Chairman, (Mr Jerome Powell) and the President, and historically, it would be fair to say that (most) political leaders, generally, and especially in times of pending elections, often don’t take notice of the long term economic advice from the Heads of their National Banking bodies.

WW