Thread: Expecting Too Much From Sony

Real Name
    Richard

Expecting Too Much From Sony

Sony has introduced the A6600 today. The specs indicate that the A6600 is an excellent camera but, it doesn't bring enough to the table for me, to switch from my combination of A6400 and A6500 for tandem use.

IMO, the specs of the A6600 are what SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED IN THE A6400 FOR STILL PHOTOGRAPHY but, were lacking: IBIS and larger battery capacity. No 20 FPS, no 1/8000 second shutter and no mind blowing improvements in AF and of course, no global shutter but, that last was reaching for clouds...

It just goes to show you how much I expect from Sony when you see me looking down my nose at a set of really excellent specifications just because they have not brought what I wanted to the table for still shooting...

Yes, I would prefer the A6600 over either my A6500 or A6400 but, no, there is not enough advantage in the A6600 to convince me to switch. The change of battery is a great idea but, the A6600 doesn't offer me enough extra options to start using a camera set with two different batteries. I learned my lesson along that line in 2004 when I was shooting with a Canon 10D and a 350D. I ended up down at the bottom of Carlsbad Caverns New Mexico with a dead 10D battery and only 350D batteries with me. The choice was shoot with a single body or return to the surface and go down another day because it would have been too late to return to the bottom that day. Mia Culpa, of course but, that was the last time that I used a set of cameras with two different batteries.

I am somewhat excited over the new Sony APSC lens, e 16-55 f/2.8 G, however, sadly it doesn't appear to include OSS. Sure most of the Sony bodies now include IBIS but, OSS would be a great improvement to that lens. Sony has needed a really good APSC zoom lens in that focal range and f/stop forever now. If the IQ is decent (which we cannot count on from a non G-master Sony zoom) this will be a great addition to the Sony lineup of APSC lenses. Pretty hefty price tag but, we have come to expect that from Sony...

Will I buy one - I seriously doubt it because of the steep price tag. If I want top-notch IQ from my Sony AOSC cameras, I will stick with some very good prime lenses...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Expecting Too Much From Sony

Sony will introduce products it can sell at a specific price point to ensure adequate profit margins, just like any other camera maker. Their marketing department will hold focus groups and do marketing studies to identify the features they will introduce on a new camera body, the same as Canon, Nikon, etc. do. The same goes for the lenses it puts out.

Crop frame equipment are targeted at the amateur market, so don’t expect too much leading edge stuff. It’s not going to happen. Sony pushed IBIS for a very long time, so lack of in lens stabilization should come as no surprise.

My guess is Sony might be returning to its roots here; they built well regarded video camera decades before they got into the still camera business. Panasonic often appeared to be doing the very same thing with their mFT cameras. I suspect that they are pushing the 4K video market quite hard with this offering and the fact that it takes decent pictures is just a bonus.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th August 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

When camera companies have multiple models at multiple price points, There is always danger of stacking too many features into the lower priced models, thus having the lower echelon cameras bite into the sales of the higher cameras.

However, I am not totally sure of the total competence of the Sony marketing folks.

When Sony brought out the A6400, they hosted an enormous dog and pony show in San Diego inviting all the prominent YouTubers to the party. The AF of the little A6400 is really stupendous. But, what did the reviewers say... BOO HOO! When you use the flip-up LCD screen it would be blocked by a hotshoe microphone.

That's correct but, there is a plethora of tiny and inexpensive adapters out now that allow you to shift microphone positions. Obviously, the Sony gurus never thought of this quick fix or they could have introduced an adapter as an accessory with the camera and thus negating weeks of bad publicity...

Now Sony is bringing out a $1,400 USD camera and a $1,400 zoom lens which brings the combination to the price point of the A7iii with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. I opted for crop sensor because I wanted a very small and lightweight system to shoot in a two camera tandem.

But, If I were looking for one camera (like most normal folks shoot with) I would sure as heck opt for the A7iii + Tamron lens over the A6600 and the new Sony glass...

Real Name
    John

But in a way aren't you glad Sony didn't bring to the market (at this very moment) the attributes you would like to see, if you've had your current system for five or more years I could understand the anticipation?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When camera companies have multiple models at multiple price points, There is always danger of stacking too many features into the lower priced models, thus having the lower echelon cameras bite into the sales of the higher cameras.
    I suspect it is 'features' or 'gimmicks' as some of us refer to them that are used by the manufacturers to entice many buyers of 'lower echelon' cameras.

I also suspect that serious experienced photographers buying higher end cameras are simply not interested in the vast majority of gimmicky features because they know they do not need or use many of them.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    However, I am not totally sure of the total competence of the Sony marketing folks.
    That is a common comment made by anyone who has worked with "marketing folks" and not just Sony's.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    But in a way aren't you glad Sony didn't bring to the market (at this very moment) the attributes you would like to see, if you've had your current system for five or more years I could understand the anticipation?
    Wow! John... That is certainly another way to look at it! Thanks!

"I suspect it is 'features' or 'gimmicks' as some of us refer to them"
    I seem to remember that I and many other photographers considered auto-focus as a gimmick that would fade out the way eye controlled focusing of some later Canon SLR cameras faded out after a few models...

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/65...ntrolled-focus
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th September 2019 at 09:25 PM.