Thread: Rural scene

Real Name
    Sharon

Rural scene

I'm not 100% sure this works as is (or will it ever), played with cropping and leaving just the old house, etc.
    But, I love these kinds of places where structures are falling yet left standing. Yes, the clouds are lost in detail.

Thanks for peeking.

Rural scene20060812-barn2-3 by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    John

Re: Rural scene

It works for me, it feels a bit stretched across the horizon though.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

It works for me too.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure this works as is (or will it ever), played with cropping and leaving just the old house, etc.
    But, I love these kinds of places where structures are falling yet left standing. Yes, the clouds are lost in detail.

Thanks for peeking.

Rural scene20060812-barn2-3 by sharonkay finley, on Flickr
    Hello Sharon,

My personal inclination is to crop the top and left quarters and up the cloud contrast a bit:

Rural scene

... but the sharpening halos round the buildings are a little off-putting. Splendid scene though, well worth some more work ...

The blown-out clouds do bother me. The suggested crop really improves the shot.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for the comments. The crop definitely helps. My inexperience overall has me hesitant on heavy crops and edits, yet I see where improvements happen under the right hands

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sorry Sharon - this one is not working all that well for me.

You have two significant subjects / points of interest that are not visually connected, so my eyes bounce between the two. That is not something that ends up being a sign of a strong image.

I do think that changing your crop and displaying them as two separate, stand alone images would be worth considering.

Rural scene

Rural scene

Real Name
    Ole

I like it well enough, Sharon. I would concentrate on one of the houses though, I'd suggest the bigger house.

My first love in photography is black and white but I'd like to see this in colour as well.

Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Philip

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." Ansel Adams

Perhaps slightly left and a bit closer?

Philip

E.g.
    Rural scene

Real Name
    Dan

I'll throw in my two cents.

I agree with several of the comments. the empty space on the left contributes nada and throws the image out of balance, and the blown-out clouds are a distraction, so I would crop from the left and top. Ted's crop is roughly what I would do. I don't agree with Manfred; I think the image is fine--and more interesting--with all of the structures. The roofs create a nice diagonal as well.

I agree about the sharpening halos. Halos are one of the things you should always be looking for when you sharpen.

Re editing and cropping: there is no reason whatever to be hesitant to crop. There is nothing magical about the aspect ratio of a given camera, and in fact, different cameras have different aspect ratios. FF and APS-C cameras are 3:2, my MFT is 4:3, and other formats are different from both. Moreover, the framing depends on where you stand and what lens you use, and there is no reason to stick with that if you don't like the results. IMHO, what should guide your cropping in most cases is what looks good to you for that particular image. There are exceptions, of course, e.g., series of prints that have to be the same, but when there is no reason not to crop to taste, I think you should just crop to taste.

Real Name
    Daniel

Sharon, Thank you for posting. Your image and the commentery it provided was most helpful.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for the suggestions. Dan, I totally get what you are saying. It certainly makes more sense to not be afraid to make adjustments when necessary vs just going with an imperfect image out of camera.
    Thanks for the commentary.

Real Name
    Richard

Since everyone is jumping in - here's my take.

Rural scene

I like the look of absolute desolation that this image portrays. I'd go bonkers waking up every day and seeing off to the bare horizon...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

The first thing i felt was what did by Ted; Manfred's idea also really worked; the pan style of Richard is also working; that mean the original had good potential!!!

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Since everyone is jumping in - here's my take.

Rural scene

I like the look of absolute desolation that this image portrays. I'd go bonkers waking up every day and seeing off to the bare horizon...
    This happens to be my favorite take on the original image. I think for me, the portrayal of the desolation is lost with too much cropping, and how you have approached it still leaves that feeling but removes the crappy clouds. There is a lot of this on Whidbey and I really want to capture much of it. A lot of destitute levels of poverty as well.
    Bonkers? You would?