Thread: Work in Progress

Real Name
    André

Work in Progress

Work in Progress

An alien landscape, a glimpse of primordial time, a microbial view of the world or simply a few interesting lines and shapes from my garden; whichever way that I look at this, I feel that the yellow blob should be moved slightly to the right and up. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that without affecting the diaphanous veil in front of it. My tools are Photoshop CS4 (over 10 years old) and Lightroon 5.7 (also very old).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as would C & C on the overall composition and processing.

Re: Work in Progress

An interesting idea, Andre, but for me there are several problems. Your highlights are over exposed (always a difficult problem with this sort of scene) and a lot of the image is out of focus, particularly the bottom left corner.

If it was my image I would crop differently and lose much of the soft left side; then working from the original image, preferably with a Raw image, I would use a copy image and reduce the highlights then a mask to edit the darkened highlight bits back into the scene. But be careful not to overdo this and end with leaden grey highlights instead of being silvery.

If you wanted to retain that yellow blob which looks a bit like a distant sun, it would be relatively easy to put a selection around the whole area of yellow/green in the top left corner then copy and paste into a different part of the image. Feather the selection a little.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

This evokes curiosity ...

Real Name
    André

First I would like to apologize for taking so long to reply. Sometimes, life tends to interfere with the enjoyment of one's hobby.
    Geoff, thank you for your very pertinent comments on my little creation. This is simple scene from my garden that I flipped vertically. It somehow fired up my imagination so I deliberately exaggerated the blurriness of the "background" to increase the ambiguity of the scene and make it easier for the viewer's imagination to roam free. The burnt out highlights are speculars reflections, emphasized in PP, from water droplets on a spider web around a leaf from a milkweed.
    Nandakumar, if the picture piqued your curiosity, then it was at least partially successful. Thank you for commenting.