Thread: Lightroom Classic "slow reaction" and freezing

Real Name
    Philippe

Lightroom Classic "slow reaction" and freezing

My computer knowledge being too basic , I'll appreciate if someone can give his advice.
    Using LR classic (regularly updated) I have often a problem of very slow reaction and even freeze, for example when working with the mask brush. Most of the pictures are around 20MB (NEF), I use the raw picture.
    Is the problem linked to the computer hardware?
    My PC is working with Windows 10, the processor is an Intel Core i5-2400 CPU 3.1GHz, RAM 12GB, System 64-bit.
    There are 4 Hard Disks, the pictures are stored in a 2TB HD when the previous one became full, the LR.exe is located on another HD, could this be a problem?
    What could be the solution to have a smooth and quick workflow?
    Thanks a lot for any suggestion,
    Philippe

Real Name
    Peter

Lightroom Classic "slow reaction" and freezing

Philippe, do you have GPU acceleration turned on (listed in preferences) if so it may be worthwhile turning it off to see if that overcomes the issue.
    You could also try asking the question on the forum shown below

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ST1; 14th September 2019 at 08:31 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Lightroom Classic "slow reaction" and freezing

The first place I check is the Adobe site to ensure that your computer meets the spec.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cl...uirements.html

It seems to but the memory (RAM) is just at the recommended level.

The second question I would ask is if you are running any other software at the time? If you are, shut those things down and see if that helps. The specs are fine, but with other software running, it does use resources so even though you are at the recommended level, other software can be eating into available resources.

Whenever your computer runs into memory (RAM) issues, it tries to download in-process operations onto your hard drive (a.k.a. "swap drive". If your main drive is a mechanical hard drive, this will slow things down. Try replacing your main drive with a Solid State Drive (SSD); that really speeds things up. You could also look at adding RAM to your computer, if it will take it. I run at 36 GB RAM.

Finally, Lightroom has always been known to be a slow, resource heavy piece of software that does slow down to a crawl if you do any really heavy editing with it. One workflow that helps is to do little more than raw conversion in Lightroom Classic and do all the edits in Photoshop.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Lightroom Classic "slow reaction" and freezing

Also, if your computer is marginal in terms of memory, don’t just close other programs. Reboot before loading Lightroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk