Thread: Kipnuk

Real Name
    Sharon

Kipnuk

This is our former pup Kipnuk. Pound puppy, not sure what his mix was.
    Got him at 3 months old, the guy lived past 18 years!!!
    Not our smartest dog, and strong headed, but non-the-less he was a cute dog.

KipnukKipnuk by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Kipnuk

What a handsome dog. Stunning eyes and big smile !!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice shot of a nice looking dog Sharon. You might want to consider cutting back on the sharpening a bit though; the grasses and fur have halos.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured and cute pup.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for comments.
    Manfred, thanks, you are correct. I didn't apply a lot of sharpening, I can't find anything out there that says whether lightroom shapes on import or not.

Real Name
    Richard

What a handsome guy! Every time I see a wonderful large formidable rescue dog, I am sadly reminded of an awful incident that happened at a nearby lake.

A lovely young lady was out jogging alone and was assaulted and murdered...

However, a few minutes earlier, another young lady had jogged past exact the same spot but, she was jogging with her large rescue dog and wasn't assaulted by the culprit laying in wait. That dog saved her life!

My wife and I often took our Goldendoodle to this lake and remarked that if we were young females jogging in this lonely area, we'd have a big dog jogging with us for safety reasons. Sadly, that was proven true by the above incident. In that case a rescued dog paid back his rescuer with the greatest gift possible: her life!...

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Thanks for comments.
    Manfred, thanks, you are correct. I didn't apply a lot of sharpening, I can't find anything out there that says whether lightroom [sharpens] on import or not.
    A handsome hound, Sharon.

If the capture was a raw image, doesn't LR use ACR which applies a light "capture" sharpening as default? Someone here probably knows for sure ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 25th September 2019 at 01:22 AM.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Thanks for comments.
    Manfred, thanks, you are correct. I didn't apply a lot of sharpening, I can't find anything out there that says whether lightroom shapes on import or not.
    If you go to the "develop" module and expand the "detail" tab, you will see which sharpening settings are applied to the images that you import. You can then change them according to your photo's need.
    Last edited by Round Tuit; 25th September 2019 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    If the capture was a raw image, doesn't LR use ACR which applies a light "capture" sharpening as default? Someone here probably knows for sure ...
    Both ACR and Lightroom Develop Module use the same engine and same default settings (these are camera model specific), so using either will give identical results.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    What a handsome guy! Every time I see a wonderful large formidable rescue dog, I am sadly reminded of an awful incident that happened at a nearby lake.

A lovely young lady was out jogging alone and was assaulted and murdered...

However, a few minutes earlier, another young lady had jogged past exact the same spot but, she was jogging with her large rescue dog and wasn't assaulted by the culprit laying in wait. That dog saved her life!

My wife and I often took our Goldendoodle to this lake and remarked that if we were young females jogging in this lonely area, we'd have a big dog jogging with us for safety reasons. Sadly, that was proven true by the above incident. In that case a rescued dog paid back his rescuer with the greatest gift possible: her life!...
    Just awful. Such a shame that this happens .. us girls have to be very careful it seems. I sometime go hiking or trail running alone. Maybe not such a great idea.
    Thank you for the sad story.

Real Name
    Richard

A big dog is a great security factor. It doesn't matter if the dog is not formidable looking but, if it is; that's even better.

My Sara Lee, who was a German Shepherd - Golden Retriever and Wolf hybrid was a great example of that. She was 85 pounds and I know that she would have defended me or especially my wife if needed. When she walked with me she would be all over the place sniffing and looking at birds. When she was walking with my wife, she would be next to her with their sides touching and she would be looking right and left all the time so she could intercept any danger...

When we had our pool installed, the pool company hired a bunch of itinerant laborers. I would walk my big dog around them once or twice a day and let them get a good look at her Nice thing about a dog like that, the looks are enough to discourage any wrongdoers...

As per the sharpening of Kipnuk's image... I tried NIK Viveza and and reduced the Structure with the slider. This often works when I am working on an original image that has been erroneously sharpened too much but, I am not sure that it works in this case. Anyway, here is the try. What do you think?
    Kipnuk

It seems like the halos around the foreground grass has been lowered a bit as well as any halos on Kipnuk's coat. However, his eyes still liik sharp...

BTW: do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? If you open an image that has been captured in JPEG, you will have an image in which in-camera sharpening has been applied. Just in case for some reason I do shoot in JPEG (very-very seldom) I ensure that in camera sharpening is turned off...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 25th September 2019 at 03:00 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    A big dog is a great security factor. It doesn't matter if the dog is not formidable looking but, if it is; that's even better.

My Sara Lee, who was a German Shepherd - Golden Retriever and Wolf hybrid was a great example of that. She was 85 pounds and I know that she would have defended me or especially my wife if needed. When she walked with me she would be all over the place sniffing and looking at birds. When she was walking with my wife, she would be next to her with their sides touching and she would be looking right and left all the time so she could intercept any danger...

When we had our pool installed, the pool company hired a bunch of itinerant laborers. I would walk my big dog around them once or twice a day and let them get a good look at her Nice thing about a dog like that, the looks are enough to discourage any wrongdoers...

As per the sharpening of Kipnuk's image... I tried NIK Viveza and and reduced the Structure with the slider. This often works when I am working on an original image that has been erroneously sharpened too much but, I am not sure that it works in this case. Anyway, here is the try. What do you think?
    Kipnuk

It seems like the halos around the foreground grass has been lowered a bit as well as any halos on Kipnuk's coat. However, his eyes still liik sharp...

BTW: do you shoot in RAW or JPEG? If you open an image that has been captured in JPEG, you will have an image in which in-camera sharpening has been applied. Just in case for some reason I do shoot in JPEG (very-very seldom) I ensure that in camera sharpening is turned off...
    Great story. dogs generally can gauge character, it's amazing. I suspect our current crew would rip someone apart if they tried anything, they are very protective.
    Like the edits. I shoot both raw and jpeg (my xpro-2 allows it), although this is an older image and was processed via jpeg.
    Thank for taking the time to edit and also comment and teach. It really is appreciated.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Talking about protection, my two dogs are Rio 6 and Ripley 4. They are Cocker Spaniels. Law enforcement use the breed as search dogs, but forget about any idea of them being the equivalent of a German Shepherd or the like when it comes to security. They are the softest dogs known to man.

But when little Ripley was finding his feet about 9 months old, and was starting the rebellious phase, I had to admonish him for getting out of line on our walk. He turned to me and growled and attempted to snap at me. If he had wanted to bite he could have, but he didnt, he was testing the boundaries. Rio was having none of it and with a very low growl I had never heard before simply placed himself between cheeky pup and me.

It never happened again

Real Name
    Richard

This is becoming a doggie thread in addition to a photo thread but, humor me with one more anecdote... My wolf-hybrid was exceptionally protective of her small white Maltese friends that she loved. She would allow a woman to approach the Maltese but would prevent a man from doing so. No growling or snapping, she simply put herself between the guy and her Maltese buddy and bumped him away with her hip. The guy always got the point of what this 85-pound (38.5 kilogram) dog was telling him. But, when I said, "It's O.K. Sara Lee" she would allow he man to pet the Maltese.