Thread: Lego + Micrometer

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Lego + Micrometer

I found that even very high end ball heads are not great when doing precise work, so I bought a Benro Geared Head (which is Arca-Swiss plate compatible) and have started exploring what I can do with it.

The is my first shoot using it; two studio lights (a light with snoot as my key light coming in from camera left and a fill light using a strip box from overhead.

First impressions are very good; no creep like one would get from most ball heads. incredibly fine movement control.

Lego + Micrometer

I've also figured out I will need to focus stack if I want to shoot this close up.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Lego + Micrometer

I've also figured out I will need to focus stack if I want to shoot this close up.
    Indeed. I stack routinely. Virtually all of my studio macros are stacked, with anywhere from 3 to 25 images.

There are numerous options for stacking. Photoshop will do it, although with only a single algorithm. The two specialty programs are Helicon, which I have never used, and Zerene, which is what I have used for years. I could sing its praises, but unless you are going to stack enough that you decide to shell out $$ for specialized software, I'll spare you that. If you decide you want to consider exploring these options, let me know.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    First impressions are very good; no creep like one would get from most ball heads. incredibly fine movement control.
    Manfred, I have two Giottos ball heads. MH7001 with the MH621 quick release plate.They seem pretty firm.

Can I ask how "creep" manifests itself with most ball heads? Not being awkward, I seriously don't know.

Of course, I do realize that a good geared system beats a "loosen the clamp-screw and waggle the head" system as far as precision of alignment is concerned ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th September 2019 at 11:19 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Manfred, I have two Giottos ball heads. MH7001 with the MH621 quick release plate.They seem pretty firm.

Can I ask how "creep" manifests itself with most ball heads? Not being awkward, I seriously don't know.

Of course, I do realize that a good geared system beats a "loosen the clamp-screw and waggle the head" system as far as precision of alignment is concerned ...
    With a ball head, there are two "issues" that don't tend to make much of a difference in normal landscape and portraiture work.

Mount the camera / lens and when one "lets go" there is generally a little bit of downward movement as the setup locks into position. Also, especially with smaller diameter ball heads when used with long lenses, the whole setup can "droop" over time. Not usually an issue except for very long exposures (measured in minutes to hours).

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Manfred,

I read your other thread about the Geared Head. I defer to Dan's advice about Stacking . . . BUT - all that other stuff aside: I love the Concept of the Image.

I'd like to see another crack at this - Multiple Images, stacked. The whole length of the turrets of the Micrometer in shot. Keep the RED Lego Brick, it's awesome. It all should be 'floating' in mid-air. I'd move the Key Light Snoot a bit closer to the Lens's Axis, because the shadow of the Micrometer's Yellow Lock is a bit too big as too is the Shadow of the Brand Nameplate.

I glean from Dan's images that this Studio Macro Photography is not a difficult exercise at all, you should be able to pump it out in under an hour!

Seriously, I really like the Concept, I think it has great mileage for a terrific shot.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Manfred,

I read your other thread about the Geared Head. I defer to Dan's advice about Stacking . . . BUT - all that other stuff aside: I love the Concept of the Image.

I'd like to see another crack at this - Multiple Images, stacked. The whole length of the turrets of the Micrometer in shot. Keep the RED Lego Brick, it's awesome. It all should be 'floating' in mid-air. I'd move the Key Light Snoot a bit closer to the Lens's Axis, because the shadow of the Micrometer's Yellow Lock is a bit too big as too is the Shadow of the Brand Nameplate.

I glean from Dan's images that this Studio Macro Photography is not a difficult exercise at all, you should be able to pump it out in under an hour!

Seriously, I really like the Concept, I think it has great mileage for a terrific shot.

WW
    Thanks Bill - I agree with your comments and am definitely going to work on this concept some more. I had been eying the micrometer for a few weeks trying to think up ways if using it in a still-life shot.

This was really a combination of me trying to see how I would use the geared head as well as beginning to explore the concept of doing an image with the micrometer. I just wanted to see how the light drops off and lights up parts of the instrument. I used a Manfrotto super-clamp for the test. I will probably hang the micrometer using fishing line off my grip arm that is attached to a C-stand.

I was originally going to use a large nut, but decided to go with the Lego because it complimented the yellow locking lever on the micrometer (as well as a knob on the end that can't be seen in this shot). I used the modifiers I already had on the lights and am going to switch out the strip box for a reflector and grid and will play with the position of the lights as well as the lighting ratios. Once I nail those, I will try focus stacking.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    . . . I was originally going to use a large nut, but decided to go with the Lego because it complimented the yellow locking lever on the micrometer . . .
    Absolutely! Those two were made for each other.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Absolutely! Those two were made for each other.
    What good taste Manfred has. I am awaiting delivery of two news chairs for my lounge. One is red and the other is yellow.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    What good taste Manfred has. I am awaiting delivery of two news chairs for my lounge. One is red and the other is yellow.