Thread: A simple photograph

Real Name
    António Correia

A simple photograph

From yesterday in a walk along the river...
    A simple photograph

Real Name
    Dan

Re: A simple photograph

A great capture of the subject. However, I would do some processing to tone down other areas that compete for attention, such as the window, the bright shirt on the left, and the bright arm on the right.

Just as an illustration, I did a very quick and crude edit, selecting the bright areas, darkening them, and desaturating them somewhat. I was not careful with the selection, which was a little messy at the top of the subject's hat. I didn't worry about how much I did each edit; I just wanted to illustrate toning down the distracting elements. See what you think.

I didn't edit the subject at all, but she appears to have higher contrast than in the original because of the lack of visual competition.

A simple photograph

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Great candid capture

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you Dan and Peter for the comments.
    Dan, I started from a photograph rather different on which I have worked. I post it here.
    I was aware of the far right arm where the Sun is spotting, but I left it. Perhaps because I had just spent too long on this shot. On the other hand, you are right and again, I should have kept for publication after a deeper evaluation. A couple of ours later it would have been enough, perhaps...
    I had the table to set and I ran away !

There is also a Sun spot on the blouse of the girl...

A simple photograph

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Thank you Dan and Peter for the comments.
    Dan, I started from a photograph rather different on which I have worked. I post it here.
    I was aware of the far right arm where the Sun is spotting, but I left it. Perhaps because I had just spent too long on this shot. On the other hand, you are right and again, I should have kept for publication after a deeper evaluation. A couple of ours later it would have been enough, perhaps...
    I had the table to set and I ran away !

There is also a Sun spot on the blouse of the girl...
    Antonio - when I first looked at the image, I held the same view as Dan. It's not just the bright area of on the woman's arm in the back, but the window, the bright shirt on the left, etc.

In this version, you've brought the brights down, but your subject's face is so dark that is fades away on the viewer.

Real Name
    Dan

I don’t find the sunspot a problem. It’s not distracting. The other bright areas draw the eye away from the subject.

IMHO, the key is to darken the distracting areas without darkening the subject, to highlight he subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    John

Nice shot.