Thread: Interesting old barn

Real Name
    Sharon

Interesting old barn

I've passed this barn on many occasions, always with something in front of it. I wanted to get a capture and yesterday was my first attempt.

Interesting old barnCool old barn by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Interesting old barn

Great subject, Sharon. Your WB is looking a bit too blue to me and I wonder if the whole image couldn't be a bit brighter. Is there a reason you didn't go wider and give us more room at the bottom? If you have a long lens, maybe you could zoom in on the various features another time. I would think you could get a whole series of images out of this place; I look forward to seeing more.

Real Name
    John

Nicely framed.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Great subject, Sharon. Your WB is looking a bit too blue to me and I wonder if the whole image couldn't be a bit brighter. Is there a reason you didn't go wider and give us more room at the bottom? If you have a long lens, maybe you could zoom in on the various features another time. I would think you could get a whole series of images out of this place; I look forward to seeing more.
    Great response, and absolutely about the WB.
    I'll have to consider what you say in terms of more space at the bottom, I didn't want to include a lot of junk. However, there are many opportunities out here to show just that.... junk. Many rural properties don't have the watchful eyes of Home Owners to nag about cleaning up a property.

Here's a better white balance approach maybe?

Interesting old barnBarn adjusted by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Great subject, Sharon. Your WB is looking a bit too blue to me ...
    Sharon seems to use Auto WB a lot.

Color balancing on the round trash-can lid works quite well.

(Temperature goes from 6490K to 7315K and tint from 1 to 0.98 for what that's worth - RawTherapee numbers).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sharon now it's looking to orange (yellow / red) (warm tones). I suspect this is closer to reality.

Interesting old barn

I suspect you did a tight crop because of things in either side that you were trying to exclude from the shot, but this is not working as well as it should. The image needs more space on both sides.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Sharon now it's looking to orange (yellow / red) (warm tones). I suspect this is closer to reality.

Interesting old barn

I suspect you did a tight crop because of things in either side that you were trying to exclude from the shot, but this is not working as well as it should. The image needs more space on both sides.
    Thanks Manfred, I may try to do a retake, all the suggestions are very appreciated and valid.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post

Interesting old barn
    Good job, Manfred. That trash can lid is now almost perfectly neutral with a barely noticeable trace of blue.

Not that I'm saying that all trash can lids are perfectly gray - and that one is illuminated by a blue-ish overcast ...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Good job, Manfred. That trash can lid is now almost perfectly neutral with a barely noticeable trace of blue.

Not that I'm saying that all trash can lids are perfectly gray - and that one is illuminated by a blue-ish overcast ...
    Thanks Ted - I tend to "eye-ball" the colours in a situation like this one. I've been colour correcting for so long that I generally know when I'm close enough. The same goes for colour correction, although there are times I will tend to not go for a completely neutral look, especially in portraiture.