Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monitor Colour Temperature

Real Name
    Yes

Monitor Colour Temperature

I was surprised to see that my colour calibration equipment suggested a colour temperature of 6500K.
    I used to find when developing raw images that I made them too warm.
    For some years I have calibrated the screen at 5800K, the same as my lightbox and print inspection lamp, and I find my prints and projected images now look right.
    Is it the way I percieve colour that I find the warmer screen better for me?
    What do other members calibrate at?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Monitor Colour Temperature

I've always used 6500K and I have set my screen to that colour temperature so long as I can remember and have never had anyone telling me that my prints don't look correct. I believe this has always been the recommended value for computer screens and I when I calibrate and profile my screen with my xRite i1 Display Pro, this is what I set the screen to.

With chromatic adaptation affecting our perception of colour temperature, I've never really worried about it too much. I would prefer to evaluate my prints using the lights that they will be displayed under, but reality generally means that this is not possible. I've never had anyone complaining about the colour correction in my print work, so I suspect I must be close enough to fool the experts.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Monitor Colour Temperature

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    What do other members calibrate at?
    I don't calibrate but, out of curiosity, I looked at my NEC P242W settings. It's at 6500K and sRGB, for what that's worth.

Manfred has already addressed color perception.

I doubt that just playing with the color temperature is the answer to "everything", not that you said it would. For example, my monitor has settings for RGB individual gammas and even the CIE x,y values for each primary color are adjustable ... and much more, mostly unintelligible.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 7th October 2019 at 04:43 PM.