Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Inside the Artist's Studio

Real Name
    John

Inside the Artist's Studio

A work in progress on the studio as well as the concept, currently using the room for printing, some editing, mounting, and other art concepts. The image was shot in low light (ISO 100, f/8, 20seconds at 13mm UWA) using a flash to light the prints and some objects in the room. Comments welcome.

Inside the Artist's Studio

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Inside the Artist's Studio

A B&W photo is not helpful as it does not tell us anything about the environmental colours. Nor do I see where youre workstation is and what it is facing. The bright window there looks problematic.

Basically looks OK to me although I'm not sure about the end wall. Somehow the light seems wrong there?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    A B&W photo is not helpful as it does not tell us anything about the environmental colours. Nor do I see where youre workstation is and what it is facing. The bright window there looks problematic.
    I do most of my editing in another room but there is another station right behind the easel to the right of the printer and is in front of that window, there's another printer directly behind that easel and I'll use that work station to print to the smaller printer.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Basically looks OK to me although I'm not sure about the end wall. Somehow the light seems wrong there?
    It's a white wall but the room was dimly lit, the effects on the wall are partly from the light painting and partly from lamplight shining through the room.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I do most of my editing in another room but there is another station right behind the easel to the right of the printer and is in front of that window, there's another printer directly behind that easel and I'll use that work station to print to the smaller printer.
    The two critical areas are where you have your editing equipment / do your editing and where you proof your prints. The rest doesn't matter.

The editing area needs to be fairly dark and ideally colour neutral. The place where you judge your prints needs to be well lit and representative of the lighting that you are planning to display them, if possible.

Real Name
    Dan

Not sure what your intent is here. The room is very cluttered, which isn't surprising if you just want an accurate rendition of a working studio, but I found my eyes wandering around, trying to figure out where to rest. The central point is a printer on a table, not anything more interesting. The high-contrast stuff on the right edge doesn't help. I'm afraid that all in all, it doesn't work for me.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Not sure what your intent is here. The room is very cluttered, which isn't surprising if you just want an accurate rendition of a working studio, but I found my eyes wandering around, trying to figure out where to rest. The central point is a printer on a table, not anything more interesting. The high-contrast stuff on the right edge doesn't help. I'm afraid that all in all, it doesn't work for me.
    Hi Dan,

The intent was to practice light painting with some control of the light and the subjects I painted the lights onto, the studio is what it is, it is where my printing output goes to, where I do my photo mounting, and where I view the output.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I was not 100% clear if you wanted this assessed as a piece of photographic work or a question on how your room was set up or a bit of both.

For comments and critiques, this is a better thread...