Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Aurora HDR 2019

Real Name
    Janis

Aurora HDR 2019

Actually, before I checked out the latest version of Luminar, I was playing with Aurora HDR, which I acquired as part of this year's 5-Day Deal. Again, my first impressions are very good. One day this September, I was out on a wetland trail in midday. The light was high contrast, so I shot a bunch of bracketed exposures, hand held. This was made from a four- or five-image bracket:

Aurora HDR 2019

I thought it did quite a good job of the alignment.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 29th November 2019 at 06:08 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Aurora HDR 2019

Nicely captured, love shooting in dappled lighting.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It doesn't look like an HDR image, and that is a good thing as they tend to come out a bit flat and need some work with mid-tone contrast. You might want to play around with that to see if that helps or hurts this image; it certainly is close and would not need a lot.

Would you mind posting the "properly" exposed image from the set of 5. I would be interested in seeing what the lighting looks like in that shot.

Real Name
    Dan

It doesn't look like an HDR image, and that is a good thing as they tend to come out a bit flat and need some work with mid-tone contrast.
    Some software can be set to make this adjustment automatically. Lightroom can. I have no idea whether Aurora does.

I too would like to see the best-exposed image of the 5. This doesn't look like an image that would need 4 or 5 bracketed shots.

Real Name
    Janis

Sorry for the delay in responding. I think you two are quite right that this shot did not need the bracketing; the highlights were within a range that they could be pulled back. Still, I was impressed at how well the program aligned the edges, given that the shot was handheld. There may be frames in the bunch I shot that day that would better serve as a test case, but so far there is nothing that appears worth spending time on.