Thread: Opinions Please

Real Name
    Richard

Opinions Please

I was very happy with the first metal photo print that I had made of a Day o the Dead image and plan to have one made of this image...
    Opinions Please

I'd like some input on the desirability of removing some background distractions that I have numbered 1 to 4 on the image...

Opinions Please

I think that I want to remove the bright spot of #2 and the gray area of #4.

I don't think that #1 is consequential at all and I just might like #3 because it separates the shoulder from the background.

What are your opinions please?

BTW: the theme of this Day of the Dead festival was the Monarch Butterfly; which in Aztec and later Mexican lore represents the spirits of the departed as they return to Mexico every year...

Real Name
    John

Re: Opinions Please

Hi Richard,

I think viewing distance will be the deciding factor for #4 and #1, whereas #2 could go either way but #3 should go as it reduces the prominence of the chin. Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Janis

Great shot, Richard! I would get rid of both #2 and #3.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

They are all distracting elements, so they should all go. Same thought on your border, it detracts from a strong image. If you want a border (and I'm not certain that they are appropriate on a metal print), go with a single border of the same colour.

Opinions Please

Real Name
    Ted

Off-topic, but I wonder why the top of the head-dress is cropped or not framed?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Off-topic, but I wonder why the top of the head-dress is cropped or not framed?
    Have you ever done any event photography?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    No. I take your point.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    . . . I'd like some input on the desirability of removing some background distractions that I have numbered 1 to 4 on the image...
    I concur with Manfred, if it were mine I would remove all four: no question about it.

Re the border:

Of itself, I think that a border is a "fashion thing": and that particular fashion comes and goes and it usually ends up making a time-stamp on the print.

It is somewhat akin to the type of frame used to mount a canvas, or even not to use a frame at all.

The bottom line is, IF you put a border IN the print you can't remove it later if you grow weary of it: you need to get a second print made.

I have found a reasonable compromise is photographic printing with no border and then taking time to try different Frames for mounting the print - or to choose to use no frame at all - or changing frames after a few years or to accommodate the print to be hung in a different location, etc..

Whilst I continuously put a border on images for Screen Display - for the last several years I don't use a border for any Print.

Congratulations Richard - it's a really strong Portrait - it's a cracker. Bravo.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Richard - a good rule of thumb on distractions is that if you have to ask if they are problematic, you've likely already answered your own question with an implied "yes".

If there is something that either takes the viewer's eyes away from the subject or tends to move them towards the edges of the image, they need to be removed or toned down.

While you did not ask, going along Bill's lines of thinking, if it were my image, I would look at some serious dodging; the eyes and the black area at the neck. You were shooting in some seriously harsh light, so these areas need to be calmed a bit.

Real Name
    Richard

Exactly - however this person was moving as I framed the shot in a crowd of onlookers. OTOH: I really am not as concerned with clipping a bit of a headdress off than I would be if I clipped a hand off...

And, I would not print with a border at all...

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Opinions Please Originally Posted by Manfred M Opinions Please Have you ever done any event photography?
    No. I take your point.
    Exactly - however this person was moving as I framed the shot in a crowd of onlookers.
    Once again - point taken.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 30th November 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

They are all distracting elements, so they should all go.
    I agree, if the image is to be printed for display.

Another small area that could be considered for removal is the 'grey' at the top right.