Thread: Cloud Waterfall north of Arctic Circle on Dempster Hyw

Real Name
    Allan Short

Cloud Waterfall north of Arctic Circle on Dempster Hyw

My second day heading north on the Dempster after overnighting at Eagle Plains, passed the posting for the Arctic Circle 66 deg. 33 sec. Another day of heavy mist and light rain, cold enough that clouds were forming as they slid down the mountain sides.

Cheers: Allan

Cloud Waterfall north of Arctic Circle on Dempster HywMFDSC4143-51_Panorama by Allan Short, on Flickr

Real Name
    raymond

Re: Cloud Waterfall north of Arctic Circle on Dempster Hyw

Neat,but could you not get more emphasis on the mountain/clouds,a lot of foreground for me since it is not the main subject.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Well Raymond, those hill are about 3 miles away, there was a heavy mist, light rain at the time. Until I added black in post there was no detail in the sky it was a completely washed out. To me there are two stories going on here, the hill with the clouds rounding down them, the second is the complete nothingness that you find in the area which in and of itself still has beauty.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    ... the second is the complete nothingness that you find in the area which in and of itself still has beauty.
    Follows the style employed by the New Topographics and their Deadpan images.

It's something I am becoming increasingly fascinated by. I am currently trying to assess if the approach of the deadpan photographers for very large and colour images can be translated into somewhat more modest (in scale) images in black & white.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I like it Allan, nice work. A well balanced composition in my view. It captures the unique beauty of the area.
    Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Donald I do not know what the deadpan photography is. All I know was I had been driving for 3+ hours had 4 more to go, in what can best be called a light Scottish Mist, (is there really a thing as a light Scottish mist), on a road that most would say should be closed. To those that live there and it is the life blood, they would say she's in pretty good shape eh. This is all I had to work, you play the cards you are given with no draws.

Real Name
    Dan

wow. Quite an image!

If this were mine, I think I would have to stare at it a long time to decide what if anything I wanted to edit. However, I think Raymond's idea might be served by doing two things: brightening the image by changing the midpoint with a levels tool, and then putting the mountains back roughly where they were by burning. That would give something like this:

Cloud Waterfall north of Arctic Circle on Dempster Hyw