Thread: Young woman in red trousers preparing tea

Real Name
    António Correia

Young woman in red trousers preparing tea

I really like wide angle lenses...
    Shot in India... we were offered this very tea which was quite pleasant to drink. Fantastic people !

Real Name
    John

Re: Young woman in red trousers preparing tea

Nicely captured, great angle.

Real Name
    raymond

Agree great angle and a great capture.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Absolute cracker of a picture Antonio. The low angle really makes it.

Your placement at a low elevation and how you located your subject certainly de-emphasized the warping factor of a wide angle lens.

Real Name
    Richard

Sharp as a tack with very rich colors...

Real Name
    Ole

One of your best, Antonio

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you all for your comments.
    I do appreciate.
    I made some 8 or 9 photos and I show you here 4 of them.
    What I regret in the image I posted is that the wood is not complete using my crop factor of 3/5 which I stubbornly insist of using.

@Richard - Not with Sony but with Panasonic GX7+Olympus 7-14 lens

Real Name
    Richard

"Not with Sony but with Panasonic GX7+Olympus 7-14 lens"

This just goes to illustrate that cameras of today have reached a point of sufficiency. Just about any modern good quality camera/lens combination, when used by a talented photographer, is sufficient to achieve very good to excellent images.

Sometimes, I think that the image quality from one camera setup to another can be skewed by the photographer's familiarity with the equipment far more than by the capability of the equipment itself.

I know that I have just recently begun getting more of the full benefit from my Sony mirrorless gear. Previously, lack of familiarity (I used Canon since the FTb SLR cameras of the 1960's and have only been shooting Sony for about a year - and shooting Sony exclusively for only a few months) has prevented me from getting the best use from my Sony gear. It has been a steep learning curve but, IMO, it is worth it because of the light weight and smaller size of the Sony cameras vs. my Canon DSLR rigs.

I have just begun to really get results from the excellent Sony auto focus capability and I can now shift parameters to take advantage of that auto focus. Perhaps, if I were younger, the transition might not have taken quite as long of a time

Real Name
    António Correia

Richard, the focus system of Sony is really a bit complicated. Don't you think so ?

When using Panasonic, Olympus or Canon the system was not so "advanced" and the success rate was far better for me, that is.
    I have been digging in many of my shots a few moments ago and I have many good photos regarding focus capability. Using Canon. More success than with Sony.

But I am working on this matter.
    Anyway, I think it is quite boring to have to change settings every time we change from a portrait, a group of people or a landscape just because of the dam focus area... it is the versatility of the focus that I dislike for the moment.

Perhaps the camera is too good for me. Why not ?

Perhaps it is just me. "Do not blame the camera blame yourself" !

I am moving on, however.

Real Name
    Richard

"Richard, the focus system of Sony is really a bit complicated. Don't you think so ?"

Antonio...

Heck yes.. The focusing systems are pretty darn complicated or should we say... sophisticated

However, getting use to the menus layout makes things somewhat easier - especially setting up the "My Menu" choices as well as setting up the custom buttons as I like them for various types of photography

Problem for me with the custom buttons is to remember what settings that I have assigned to the buttons

I plan on doing a set of "cheat" cards which I will print on index size cards and keep on a key ring. That way I could have instant access to the information that I need.

As I said earlier, I am starting to get more comfortable wit the Sony system. If I did not like so much about my Sony cameras I could consider the Sony system a big PITA. Instead, I just consider it a great challenge

I feel confident enough now to shoot my Sony cameras professionally- IF I HAD TO! I am glad hat I no longer have to make every single shot count to earn my salary. It would have been a difficult transition if I were shooting professionally. Of course, I was a LOT YOUNGER in those days - and as a Navy photographer, I was shooting a lot more in a lot more differing venues than I do now...

When I was a Navy photographer - missing an assignment was a very serious occasion. I remember a friend of mine who flew into Hanoi Harbor on a rescue helicopter to pick up a downed U.S. Navy pilot from his crashed aircraft. He had the wrong settings on his camera and the whole effort - including risking his life - was a waste! The way he described it to me, with the machine gun tracers flying around and the North Vietnamese patrol boats approaching, this might just have been award winning imagery. Instead, it was all for nothing...

Today's camera systems are more complicated but, in many ways are easier than earlier systems. When I was shooting 16mm motion picture film using a Bell and Howell Filmo camera, I had in the area of 2 minutes and 47 seconds worth of shooting at 24 frames per second for each 100 foot load of film. I could unload the exposed film and reload the camera in just under a minute (under the best of circumstances - in high pressure situations, like in a maneuvering helicopter or a fast moving patrol boat, it might take close to two minutes). As a result, I was consistently needing to be aware of the capacity I had left. Expending my film on one subject might mean missing coverage of another fast breaking action. What a difference - just switching CF or SD cards today!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 3rd December 2019 at 04:09 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Richard, when using the Olympus which I still keep and use, I had glued a small paper with the settings to the camera itself as the screen can be moved away but is not possible in our Sony cameras and others...

Perhaps the sophisticated system is too much for me and a simple contrast detection system would be enough and do the job...
    But now, I am stubborn to learns the Sony system !

Cheers !
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 3rd December 2019 at 09:03 PM.

I agree with all of the earlier comments, Antonio! Did not read the technological later comments as they would probably go over my head anyway.