Thread: Sugarworks - B&W

Sugarworks - B&W

Came across this image that I had shot a while ago, decided to try in monochrome.

Sugarworks - B&W

Real Name
    John

Re: Sugarworks - B&W

Nicely processed.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I quite like the image and it works well in b+w. It does suffer a bit from distortion on the left where the verticals are leaning. I would suggest using a vertical perspective adjustment (shift lens effect) like this ....

Sugarworks - B&W

Thanks for responding, John and Peter. Am not sure what a "shift lens" effect is? "Tilt lens" is well documented, however, I am guessing that phrase it is your shorthand for lens correction. As you say the verticals need correcting ..... which I have good experience in doing. Due to the distinct lack of enthusiasm for the image overall, it seems like the effort not worthwhile - which is fine! Got the feedback I need. From experience, I have found that some (everyday?) geometric shapes which excite me, are less than universally appreciated. It is a lesson which takes me time to assimilate.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Am not sure what a "shift lens" effect is? "Tilt lens" is well documented, however, I am guessing that phrase it is your shorthand for lens correction.
    Shift lens and tilt-shift lens are two separate (albeit similar) things. The shift lens allows the lens to move while remaining parallel to the sensor plane. A tilt-shift lens allows this too but can also move at an angle to the sensor plane. It is the tilt-shift lenses that create the tiny humans effect. Shift lenses are used for architecture to correct converging verticals (or horizontals). The software just replicates the effect.

This is a shift lens. I actually own this model .......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Due to the distinct lack of enthusiasm for the image overall, it seems like the effort not worthwhile - which is fine! Got the feedback I need.
    Unfortunately I think with type of shot will never have the wow factor that will draw immediate mass appreciation, even with the correction to the verticals.

Whether this image is worth addiitional effort can only be judged by you in the context of its intended use.

Personally, I would put the effort into this one. It has good composition (eg thirds) with angles, circles, triangles, rectangles etc implying the complexity of the plant and its processes. Some may not like the column in front of the hopper but for me, because it is complete (ie not cut off at the top of it) it is just part of the scene and a not a dividing influence.

The sky is interesting and various elements in the stucture have rim lighting and/or light lines that define edges and shapes. The hedge anchors it all nicely.

The image is sharp over all, and B&W works well for the subject. It is a well executed shot and could make a pleasing contrast to other images in a varied portfolio.