Thread: Zen - Teapot

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Zen - Teapot

I was at a presentation on "contemplative photography" at one of the photo clubs I am a member of. I thought I would give some of the ideas presented by the speaker a try. Contemplative photography is about paying attention to the attributes of the scene, more that the contents of the scene.

My first try here was to photography a small, black Japanese cast iron teapot on a black background using some very subtle lighting; one gridded reflector and one heavily controlled snoot (lots of cinefoil in play here). I do have a full tonal range from black to pure white and a few spots of brown where the iron has oxidized.

I'm just looking for some thoughts on the image.

Zen - Teapot

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Zen - Teapot

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I was at a presentation on "contemplative photography" at one of the photo clubs I am a member of. I thought I would give some of the ideas presented by the speaker a try. Contemplative photography is about paying attention to the attributes of the scene, more that the contents of the scene.

My first try here was to photography a small, black Japanese cast iron teapot on a black background using some very subtle lighting; one gridded reflector and one heavily controlled snoot (lots of cinefoil in play here). I do have a full tonal range from black to pure white and a few spots of brown where the iron has oxidized.

I'm just looking for some thoughts on the image.

Zen - Teapot
    By showing signs of use honorably gained, perhaps a less-than-perfect finish and especially the tea connection, I would say that wabi-sabi applies.

Excellent image, BTW.

[edit] I just ordered the book by Andy Karr and am about to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccPU91aKUo

I'm probably the most non-contemplative photographer on the planet.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 8th December 2019 at 01:22 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very creative!!!

Real Name
    Bill

[QUOTE=Manfred M;744674]
    I'm just looking for some thoughts on the image./QUOTE]

That's easy - I don't like it.

I love it!

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Going to be honest, I don't like the image. The highlights on the handle draw my eye away from the subtler tones of the pot. The crop looks unbalanced too. Perhaps you are leaving space for the tea cup to arrive , but i would prefer a square crop.

Real Name
    raymond

The tonal presentation and the solid blk background is powerful,well done.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    ...The highlights on the handle draw my eye away from the subtler tones of the pot...
    Interesting...my reaction was the oppposite. I found that my eye came to rest on the large, dominant, side of the pot.

In addition, I thought that if the spout was cloned out what remains would be a great startng point for a handbag design.

Real Name
    Ole

I would like the contrast to be increased ever so slightly and, agreeing with Peter, a square format also.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Dan

I have to say that I agree with Peter. My eyes keep going to the handle, which is the least interesting part of the teapot.

A little dodging and burning shows how much interesting texture is lost in the original. Some of the handle is specular highlights, so there isn't much to do with that. This isn't a polished edit, but it does show what's lost, I think.

I opted for a tighter crop, but not square.

Zen - Teapot