Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: For the Lens Nerd, Lensrentals tears down the RF70-200

For the Lens Nerd, Lensrentals tears down the RF70-200

Reading the tear-down is rather entertaining in its own right (in a techno-nerdy sort of way) but the thoroughness of the description of the process and what it finds is very interesting. If you don't want the detail go to the conclusion at the end for the "executive overview".

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...200mm-f2-8-is/

This seems to be one HECK of a lens...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: For the Lens Nerd, Lensrentals tears down the RF70-200

Definitely an interesting read.

It's far more challenging and costly to design a lens from scratch than to "update" an existing design, but it also frees the lens design team from being "stuck" with legacy design issues. Engineered resins (i.e. high performance plastics) are wonderfully robust materials and can generally absorb more abuse than metal (plastic will bounce back, but metal can permanently deform).

Real Name
    Richard

I agree with the resiliency of high performance plastics vs metals in lenses. I am always somewhat amused when so called YouTube "experts" hold a lens and state "Obviously this lens "feels" better constructed than the other lens."

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very interesting, thanks Trev. I wonder if they got it back together again without any parts leftover?

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am always somewhat amused when so called YouTube "experts" hold a lens and state "Obviously this lens "feels" better constructed than the other lens."
    I remember having a similar discussion with some "experts" some decades ago. I was told that the particular piece of photographic equipment was sturdy and well built, a Durst Colorneg Analyzer.

When I opened it up, the perceived sturdiness primarily came from a thick metal plate on the bottom of the unit; totally unnecessary from an operational and sturdiness standpoint. It felt like they had crammed it full of electronics, when in fact it looked like little more than some very basic stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DURST-Elect...gAAOSwa6hd5Ufn