Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Aircraft engine closeup

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Aircraft engine closeup

I spend a few hours wandering around the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa yesterday.

Like most museums, the light levels are kept low to ensure that the artifacts do not degrade, which means one is working in very low lighting conditions (ISO 12800 was pretty typically the ISO setting I was using) and shutter speeds where sharpness could be an issue. The museum is not all that large and has a lot of aircraft, so getting a "clean" shot is challenging, so I decided to try to photograph small parts at longer focal lengths and at a very shallow depth of field to see how that would work out.

Here is a detailed shot of a rotary engine on one of the old planes there.

Aircraft engine closeup

ISO 12800, 1/60th second at f/5 at 170mm focal length.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Aircraft engine closeup

Nice detail shot! Excellent quality! Clean of noise and disturbing background.
    I love aviation and military/naval museums!
    I plan to visit the San Diego Aerospace Museum again after the Holiday crowds have thinned out.
    The last time I visited the Museum, I was shooting film. That's how long ago that was.
    There are many aviation and military/naval museums available in the San Diego area.
    I am going to double up on one of them. Earlier this year I did a shoot with this lovely young lady... https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Portrait-Gallery/i-8QmcGHr
    Well, she is an active duty U.S. Marine. I plan to do a shoot with her in uniform at the Flying Leatherneck Museum at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, California where she is stationed...
    The Museum has exhibits of U.S. Marine Corps Aircraft from WW-2, Korea, Vietnam and later conflicts. https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Airplane...NECK-AVIATION/
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st December 2019 at 04:52 PM.

Real Name
    Jean

Re: Aircraft engine closeup

Nice shot and no disturbing noise visible.