Thread: Timber Wolf

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Timber Wolf

Out to Parc Omega today to photograph wildlife. This is one of the timberwolves I shot today.

Timber Wolf

Real Name
    John

Re: Timber Wolf

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

beautiful animal. Lovely photo.

Love the way he is looking at you, Manfred. Thinking about supper was he? Like the detail and softness.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

O that look... great!!!

Great image. I am glad these beautiful animals are shot with cameras and not firearms.

Many years ago, in Canada, a friend who liked to hunt "for the challenge" was telling me how much harder it was with his bow and arrows than those softies with a high-powered rifle. I told him if he wanted a real challenge he should hunt with a camera. To get a decent shot you not only have to see the animal, but get the focus right (on the eyes), the composition nailed and the exposure correct. That often means maneuvering around far more than to simply get a bead on the target. The good news is that one can go out and shoot the same target again repeatedly!

After some persuasion and photographic education he came out with me and got a couple of decent images. From then on he was hooked - he replaced his bows with some serious super telephoto lenses and, over time, the garish mounted heads on his walls gave way to some great framed photos of proud wild animals.

I felt it was one of my best achievements as a photographer.

Real Name
    Dave

Absolutely, Trev.

I've travelled a lot around Africa, and heard wiser voices than mine debating the merits of game shooting.

Regardless of the economic arguments, though, I just can't understand why anyone would WANT to kill animals for sport.

An anecdote, A few years ago I was on a plane to Lusaka for a safari trip. I walked to the loo at the front of the plane, and passed a passenger with a book depicting African mammals. Ah, I thought, he's brushing up on identification. But no. As I returned I saw the pictures were of tethered animals, illustrating where to shoot them. I still remember the feeling of revulsion.

Dave

Real Name
    Ole

What great shot.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Richard

I have loved wolves since I shared my life and home with a German Shepherd (Alsatian to some folks), Golden Retriever and Wolf Hybrid who was the smartest, most beautiful and the most fiercely protective pet I have even known...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I have loved wolves since I shared my life and home with a German Shepherd (Alsatian to some folks), Golden Retriever and Wolf Hybrid who was the smartest, most beautiful and the most fiercely protective pet I have even known...
    We had a purebred German Shepherd at home when I was in my teens and my parents had a couple more after I moved out of the house. They had two more after I moved out of the house.

My English in-laws called them Alsatians as well. Another breed that has a different country name in English would be the Great Dane; which is called the Deutsche Dogge in the country where it originated.

Real Name
    Richard

Hope you don't mind me kidnapping the thread - but, here is what my beautiful wolf-hybrid looked like...
    Timber Wolf

A little story: Previous to our full-time rescue work, bred and showed Maltese. Once I was walking my hybrid on the showgrounds. There is a rule that no dogs except American Kennel Club recognized breeds are allowed on the show grounds of a dog show.

People would come up to me and the conversation usually went something like this:

Them: "That's a beautiful dog, what breed is it?"

Me: "Thank you, she is a Mongolian Shepherd"

Them: "Is that an American Kennel Club breed?"

Me: "Not yet, but our breed club has submitted the paperwork for recognition and i will only be a matter of time"

Them: Usually, "Best of luck, we will be anxious to see that breed in the ring!"

Those snooty folks would have been flabbergasted to learn that my beautiful "Mongolian Shepherd" was actually a mutt

Real Name
    Sharon

He/She looks hungry... and it seems he/she may think you look delicious.
    Beautiful photograph of a stunning creature.

Real Name
    Sharon

Richard, LOL
    Thanks for sharing. There's certainly a place for well - bred dogs. Yet, the show ring is always a little creepy to me. Why we chose the "other" line of labs that are not show. I don't think I could participate in that.
    Cool looking dog btw.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

stuning Richard