Thread: Little things learned with a new camera system

Real Name
    Richard

Little things learned with a new camera system

My wife wanted a group picture of the family in front of the Christmas tree after our Christmas dinner yesterday... So I set up my A7iii with Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens on a tripod and fired the camera with my Sony RMT-DSLR2 Infrared Trigger.

There was one slight problem with this setup. I had placed myself at the right side (camera left side) of the group. When using the trigger from that position, the lens blocked the direct line of sight from the trigger to the camera Infrared receiver. The 28-75mm is a larger lens than others I have used in this type of setup and from the photographers point of view, the A7iii IR receiver is to the right of and quite close to the lens.
    Since the line of site was blocked,
    I couldn't fire the camera with my hand holding the trigger in an inconspicuous position. I had to reach out towards my left to fire the camera which of course spoiled the shot.

Easily remedied... I simply fired the camera using the two second delay of the Sony RMT-DSLR2 trigger which allowed me to retract my hand to a more normal looking position before the shutter snapped. However, I have learned In any future group shot using this setup, I will place myself on the left (camera right) of the group so as to have a direct line of site to the camera IR receiver.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 26th December 2019 at 05:19 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Little things learned with a new camera system

Which is why radio triggers are preferable to optical ones...

Real Name
    Ian

Richard

"Line of Site" is the main problem with IR transmitters as you discovered. They work well for macro on in-animate objects but beyond that, often a problem and wireless RF transmitters are more appropriate unless there are other people firing with the same channel set up in close proximity. (Can be an issue on group shoots).

Glad you resolved it nevertheless.

Seasons Greetings!

Real Name
    Richard

Although I have several radio flash triggers for my Sony gear, I do not have a radio trigger which will fire the camera remotely and I seriously doubt if I will purchase one since the only ones that I have found cost 3-5 times that of the IR trigger and I use the IR trigger so seldom that the additional cost would not be IMO worth it.

This is especially true when only a little extra work will allow me to use the IR trigger.

I originally purchased this trigger since it was one of the few out there which would allow me to remotely start and stop the camera in video mode... That is handy if I want to be in the frame when I start/stop the video but, more important when I use a video cage. I activate the trigger in my left hand while holding the cage by the handle... The cost of this trigger is minimal (about $28 USD) and it really does everything I need it to, as long as I work around its limitations.

Real Name
    Leo Bhaskara

Maybe you could've used Sony's own Imaging Edge app? You can control the camera using your smartphone.

I wanted to buy the Bluetooth trigger but then I realized I can't use it together with Imaging Edge, which I always use to embed GPS coordinates into my pictures.

Real Name
    Richard

I haven't tried to control my Sony with my smartphone but, I guess that I should...