Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tamron 24-70mm

Real Name
    E. James

Tamron 24-70mm

I got a Tamron 24-70mm G2 with the TAP-in Console and B&W filter (bird crap stopper). I spent about three hours calibrating the lens and it made a world of difference. Very sharp all around. I don't do the tripod and ruler thing. I use a flat table and move the target until the focus is identical to the illustration in the software. Put a book under the camera to raise it to the level of the target. I start at the closest setting and move up...single focus point, vibration control off, f/2.8. I don't bother with infinity I think the adjustments must be somehow cumulative anyway. Field test. Very happy at 1:1. Tickled spitless.

Real Name
    John

Re: Tamron 24-70mm

Nice to hear you like the outcome, wondering what criteria you used to determine the lens wasn't quite right and do you have before/after images compare results? It looks like you did a field test for the reevaluation, did you do the same for the initial assessment? Also, have you read any analysis on the lens, such as through DxOMark and did you see performance characteristics of your lens for specific apertures? By the way, I used the staggering batteries method for one lens I adjusted and it has worked well.

Real Name
    E. James

I field tested the lens and it was obvious that things were not quite spot on. It seemed to make sense to me that if they "give" you the TAP-in console with the lens they are trying to tell you something. I couldn't afford the Nikon 24-70 and I don't really care if an occasional focus anomaly provides a 96% success rate rather than a 100% rate. I read reviews until I couldn't take it anymore! The bokeh may be an issue but more experimentation is in order. I didn't see a DXO for the Tamron G2 send me a link if I am just too stupid to find it!

Real Name
    E. James

PS Cheers to the staggered battery method. You either go +, - or do nothing it isn't a chess game.

Real Name
    John

Looks like it hasn't been tested yet.

Real Name
    E. James

Ah, well... I also like the 6 year warranty.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Abitconfused View Post
    Ah, well... I also like the 6 year warranty.
    Those are added bonuses.