Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 1st Quarter

Re: 2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 1st Quarter

With the second image, Antonio, the bird's head is sharp but there is a bit of movement blur in the fish.

Cormorants can make good subjects because you often get close to them; although getting one struggling with a large fish is always a bonus.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, these are great action shots. Were you using your zoom at its maximum reach?

Yes, Bruce, 600 mm. I find that lens works fine at full length but can be a bit soft towards the 150 mm end.

Week 08 - Kingsbridge

End of the Line. Where electricity comes into the town

2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 1st Quarter

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/500 F11 Iso 400

Shady side of the street

Merge of 3 bracketed exposures with middle image at 1/100 F8 Iso 400

These images are part of a project which I have been intending to do for several years. 50 years ago, when I was a young man, I lived on the edge of the town and on Friday and Saturday evenings I would walk along a narrow overgrown old lane to have a few beers in a pub which ceased trading about 40 years ago. My idea was to retrace my journey while pointing out what has changed; plus a few bits which have remained mostly the same. A number of street scenes would be linked together to give an impression of walking along.

I was going to turn the images into a little story as a slideshow; but with so many other commitments I'm not sure if I will finish it this year.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 1st March 2020 at 07:46 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, it sounds like an interestng project. I noted that the building built over the sidewalk (pavement?), has a sign reading "The Shambles". I'd heard the term before but no recollection what it means so looked it up. Is this where there used to be butchers -- as with The Shambles at York?

Real Name
    António Correia

Geoff, it is pleasant to travel without being there. Don’t give up your project.
    Cheers 😀

Thanks for the comments. Shambles does indeed refer to butchery but the origin of that row of little shops is uncertain. The design seems more like a 'Butterwalk' which exists in most old towns, so possibly the term Shambles is a later name.

I have now knuckled down to a bit of serious work and finished my project based on those images, plus a few more including original 1968 photos. The result is here.

vimeo.com/395924596

But I did get a bit sidetracked into a somewhat fanciful ending that was different from my initial idea.

Week 09 - Slapton Ley. A sunny morning lured me into trying this wildlife reserve for some bird life, but there wasn't much about so I attempted a couple of landscapes instead

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/200 F11 Iso 200

1/320 F10 Iso 400

I could have done with some nice fluffy clouds for the second image but within 30 minutes it had changed from all blue to heavy rain

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I have now knuckled down to a bit of serious work and finished my project based on those images, plus a few more including original 1968 photos. The result is here.

vimeo.com/395924596

But I did get a bit sidetracked into a somewhat fanciful ending that was different from my initial idea.
    Geoff, I enjoyed the slide show and commentary -- especially the ending!

I was intrigued by the portion of old lane that now has stairs. It must have been a genuinely steep lane in its original life!

Thanks, Bruce. Yes, that lane was steep and slippery on both sides of the valley; especially when there was one of our uncommon periods of snow or ice.

Week 10 - Andrews Wood - March. Returning to the first scene of my 2020 Project 52 and the idea of photographing the same scene at monthly intervals to show seasonal variations.

It was a gloomy day today so I have tried to capture that effect and show the dullness of an approaching heavy shower.

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/320 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two exposures.

Also from today. A Scarlet Elf Cup Fungus

Sigma 180 macro lens. 1/60 F8 Iso 400. Merge of three focus points. Several of these fungi spread around a small area but many were in a poor condition and I struggled to find a good camera angle for any of them.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 8th March 2020 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Week 10 - Andrews Wood - March. Returning to the first scene of my 2020 Project 52 and the idea of photographing the same scene at monthly intervals to show seasonal variations.

It was a gloomy day today so I have tried to capture that effect and show the dullness of an approaching heavy shower.
    Geoff, you succeeded! A good environmental shot on a gloomy day.
    The red fungus turned out well. Judging by the size of the moss, the fungus cup must be relatively small.

Real Name
    António Correia

Geoff, with the photos of the same place evolving as time goes by,one get a good perception of the changes.
    More to come for sure !
    Thank you for sharing ! 😀

Thanks for the comments. I suspect it will be a challenge to keep finding alternative ideas for that monthly scene. Four seasonal shots would have been much easier; but maybe those extra months will make me think more deeply about how I see the world around me.

Besides the virus threat we have had mostly dull weather with wind and spells of rain so not really outside photography conditions. However, on better evenings I have had a go at moth trapping but without much success. But here are a couple of the better looking moths.

Week 11 - Moths from my garden

Early Thorn

7D with Sigma 180 macro lens 1/50 F11 Iso 400. Merge of 4 focus points. Obviously using a tripod.

Oak Beauty

Real Name
    António Correia

Geoff excellent work.
    Good detail and nice colours.

I am also confined to the house space and soon I will have to keep going with the Project 52.

Thank you Antonio.

Once the weather improves there are a number of outdoor locations that few people know about so I will be spending a bit of time in the open air where I will be able to photograph and record insect life and botanical subjects plus some landscape work.

Although I keep myself mostly isolated at other times, shopping will be the risky period. Last Wednesday I tried the local supermarket at 8 am but found most of the shelves were bare and I had to queue for 30 minutes at the checkout. Which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Supermarkets which deliver to your door are booked up for at least the next 3 weeks!

Anyway, I still have about 2,000 50 year old negatives which I have to scan for the local history society which will keep me busy and the local birds are having a good time at the feeders in my garden.

7D with Sigma 150-600 lens. 1/800 F8 Iso 400.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 21st March 2020 at 08:43 AM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Geoff thank you for replying.
    I have been locked in for 3 days now. My wife goes out to the store when necessary and she takes all the possible precautions.
    The government issued some mandatory rules as usual in these circumstances...

It is good you can go out in such a beautiful region like Devon, have a walk in the open air and eventually make some photographs while the birds unaware of the danger, live their lives in your garden.
    It looks like the bird in your photograph is illuminated by a flash but I don't think so as it has been the reflection of a white wall, am I right ?

Today Saturday, and I was supposed to end my week of Project 52 but instead I will start a new week tomorrow.

Take care !

Thanks Antonio.

With that woodpecker shot, it was during a short spell of sunshine and the light was coming slightly from the left side which created a bit of reflection on its back. Rather similar to the effect of using flash but actually using that large light bulb in the sky.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast