Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 1st Quarter

2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 1st Quarter

Another year so another Project 52 thread. At the moment I don't have any specific plans but a wildlife site which I frequently visit has started a slightly different project which means posting an image of the same scene each month to show seasonal changes to the same camera angle. So I will be including those images here.

Week 01 - Winter Trees at Andrews Wood. Rather poor and variable light.

1/250 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two conversions from one Raw image

1/125 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two conversions from a single Raw image

1/100 F11 Iso 800. Merge of two bracketed exposures.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: 2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 1st Quarter

The first image grabbed my attention when it first appeared on my screen. I'm looking forward to watching the changes each month.

Real Name
    John

Nice start to the 52.

Thanks.

The first image was my intended choice for the monthly scene changes challenge but I also wandered around the site looking for any other possibilities.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice images

Real Name
    António Correia

Nice start Geoff and an interesting idea.
    If ever you could place your camera exactly in the same place you would be abe to show an even more interesting evolution so to say, of the environment.
    I remember a few years ago when I subscribed the deceased Swiss magazine Camera back in the 60.ies I saw a project of 4 images (as far as I remember) taken exactly in the same position and showing the movement of the Sun inside a room.
    These days it is a very easy project. Set the timer in the camera and come back at the end of the day to see the result.
    But you can't leave the camera outside for the day, much less for a month.
    Then, I have a job for you since you also give me jobs to do

Place the camera on a tripod always in the same place as precisely as possible.
    In the scene you are about to shoot place 2 or 3 marks you can see from the camera. Marks clearly seen in the landscape and which can not be removed. Making things simple: two rocks which exist in the field. Heavy ones not to be moved easily.
    I suggest you make the shots always from the same position and after getting 5 or 6 align them in Photoshop in different layers. Then, you would be able to see the evolution of the vegetation.

Same camera, same lens till the end !

Enough. I hope I made myself understand. Perhaps not. You tell me, please.
    I will try to rephrase. Oh and by the way: I will look for that project in the available Camera magazines I have.

Thanks for the comments, Antonio.

I tried to pick a camera position where there was some easily recognisable items among the foliage and the background without there being too much emerging vegetation in the foreground. It won't matter too much if I do vary a little in my position from month to month as long as it is fairly close. There are some small trees and other markers nearby which I can use as reference markers.

However, I am also attempting a more arduous nearby task. Some of the vegetation has been cut to ground level and I had an idea to record the emerging regrowth and any new plants which will appear there over the next year. So I have selected an average looking 2 x 2 metre square for monitoring. Not overly confident about my plant identification skills or how to photograph the result. Maybe a photograph ever month with close ups of anything which actually flowers during that period. Probably I will need to sub divide my square into four 1 x 1 metre squares for easier and more detailed photography. The edges to be marked with bamboo canes.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Thanks for the comments, Antonio.

I tried to pick a camera position where there was some easily recognisable items among the foliage and the background without there being too much emerging vegetation in the foreground. It won't matter too much if I do vary a little in my position from month to month as long as it is fairly close. There are some small trees and other markers nearby which I can use as reference markers.

However, I am also attempting a more arduous nearby task. Some of the vegetation has been cut to ground level and I had an idea to record the emerging regrowth and any new plants which will appear there over the next year. So I have selected an average looking 2 x 2 metre square for monitoring. Not overly confident about my plant identification skills or how to photograph the result. Maybe a photograph ever month with close ups of anything which actually flowers during that period. Probably I will need to sub divide my square into four 1 x 1 metre squares for easier and more detailed photography. The edges to be marked with bamboo canes.
    Geoff, this sounds fascinating. I hope you post the results (in a separate thread?) even if photographically the initial images do not appear to be of interest. Your choice of focal length and camera angle to the ground will be of interest.

One more from Andrews Wood, a couple of days later. Volunteers digging a wildlife pond. It was a dull day with heavy rain coming soon (when I gave up and went home) so I just took my little Fuji X20, stored inside a waterproof bag. Not the best of cameras for those conditions but I had a go anyway.

Fuji X20 1/80 F5.6 Iso 800 which is a bit extreme for what tends to be a good light camera.

Week 02 - Coast Path near Bolt Head. Unexpected day of mild and calm weather; although there was a chilly breeze on the cliff tops.

7D with Canon 70-200 lens 1/320 F11 Iso 400. Merge of 3 conversions from a single Raw image

Merge of 3 bracketed exposures

1/400 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two conversions from a single Raw file

Tried for some shots of cattle in a herd which contained a range of breeds, but they were in an uncooperative mood and refused to act upon my instructions. So this was one of only a few just about acceptable images.

1/640 F11 Iso 400

Real Name
    António Correia

The procedure of merging the same raw file processed differently is an interesting one.
    After all it is a bracketing...

Real Name
    Bruce

A good set of shots. For me, the ones that work best are 1, 3 and 4 (despite some unavoidable haziness in the last two. In #3 the sheep on the rock makes a good focal point. Initially I thought he/she might be up there for the view but then saw he was standing on a small patch of grass.

Number 4 is interesting for the geology and wave action. But for all the dominance of the rock, the small ship makes a good focal point. Hopefully it did not lose power!

Real Name
    John

Geoff,

What was extreme to you about shooting with the X20, was it the need to shoot at high ISO? Nice captures.

Thanks for the comments.

Creating bracketed and merged images from a single Raw image does help to stretch the dynamic range beyond what can be achieved in one shot, Antonio, although it isn't quite real HDR photography. But it can be very useful when there is subject movement which would prohibit the actual shooting of real bracketed exposures.

That Fuji X20 is a decent bit of kit for the price and I purchased it because it would fit into a large trouser or jacket pocket; so I could always have a camera with me. However, it is best as a good light lens and with the light behind you. Also, ideally, I don't like going above Iso 400 due to the image noise problems particularly with shadow areas and it tends to mush up any distant backgrounds. I did a bit of noise reduction and careful sharpening with that shot to improve the image.

Here is another shot from the same day where I had a go at some sheep; but like the cattle, they wouldn't arrange themselves into a photogenic grouping.

1/320 F11 Iso 200. Merge of two conversions from one Raw File. The base image, then a darkened one with a mask to correct a pale sky and over exposed highlights on the sheep.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 11th January 2020 at 06:50 PM.

Real Name
    John

Post 13, I know what you mean about limiting ISO settings, I'll often see comments about this max setting (800, 1600, or 3200) is the highest before image deterioration occurs, but everyone has their own taste of visual quality. I recently shot with the XT-30 along with my DSLR for some lowlight shots and both cameras have their limitations.

Nice capture of the sheep, I like the low angle view, they definitely seem to be ignoring you.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post

Nice capture of the sheep, I like the low angle view, they definitely seem to be ignoring you.
    I agree with John.

The sheep look contented and hence the image has a good feel to it. All three of them are definitely interested in something to the left of you!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Beautiful images...

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you Geoff for your explanation. I will give a try on that procedure.
    I generally take 3 or even 5 shots not to make an HDR effect but rather get the various lights from the scene.
    Cheers !

Thanks for the comments. With the sheep photo, I was trying to find a suitable arrangement then someone walked along the path behind me with a dog, on a lead, so the sheep turned their heads to watch the dog and that was the moment I needed for this scene.

Week 03 - Kite Surfers off Bantham Beach. Rather a struggle this week using my Sigma 150-600 Sport lens for fast action shots in difficult conditions with a lot of spray in the air and a low camera angle produced out of focus foreground problems. It would have been easier if I had my Canon 70-200 lens with me.

1/2000 F8 Iso 800. Maybe I should have dropped the Iso a little and tried with a slower shutter speed but I was hand holding in windy conditions.

1/1600 F8 Iso 800

A different light angle where the surfers were on the left side of the beach produced a clearer image but not so much action in the scene.

1/2000 F8 Iso 800

And some close up shots of the surfers at 600 mm.

1/1000 F8 Iso 800

1/1000 F8 Iso 800

The general scene from Bigbury Beach looking towards Hope Cove and Bolt Tail

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/800 F11 Iso 400

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice set of images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast