Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OMD EM1 mark 2

Real Name
    Jan van't Veld

Olympus OMD EM1 mark 2

Hi, I'm new to this group. After looking around a bit I didn't see no Olympus / Panasonic users around at all! So I'm curious as to if there are any O/P users on this site? If not, why not?

I'm not a professional, so I'd like opinions......

Thanks, Jan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Olympus OMD EM1 mark 2

Jan - I shoot a Panasonic GX7 from time to time (I've owned one for 5 years). I generally use it when size and weight are key factors in my choice of gear. This means I tend to use it when I am traveling light.

There are other folks here that shoot both Panasonic and Olympus cameras.

The main reason I use other cameras gear (i.e. a full-frame Nikon) is that I do a lot of printing at fairly large size, so the larger sensor found in a full-frame camera gives me higher quality prints. When printing, sensor size does matter.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Jan. I'm sure there are quite a few of - we just don't make as much noise as the Canikon brigade

I moved over to m4/3 two or three years ago, mainly for portability, and I'm very happy with it. Most of my shooting is outdoors and mostly involves wildlife, so long reach at manageable weight is a big plus.

I chose Panasonic, currently have a G7 and a G80, because I prefer the handling over the Olympus bodies.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Dan

Like Manfred, I use a Panasonic micro 4/3 when I am traveling light and a "full frame" camera most of the time, and partly for the same reason: I sometimes print fairly large. In addition, I do some low-light photography, and the larger sensor handles that better.

IMHO, the choice of brand is mostly personal preference. All of the major brands make cameras that are better than anything most of us used a decade ago. There are some differences, but for the most part, it really doesn't matter.

The choice of sensor does matter for some people, but not for all. For example, some people will be served better by a sensor that handles low light better, or that has more pixels (if they print very large). But here again, it often doesn't matter.

Many years ago, Ansel Adams supposedly said, "the most important photographic equipment is the 12 inches behind the viewfinder."

Real Name
    Jan van't Veld

Thank you for the replies, I very often look at DPreview, the fourthird forum section, and see many users, but not so much here, it made me wonder if I was on a more professional site that was above my level of competency....
    Now I feel more at ease :-)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Jan - this site has members that range from beginners to seasoned photographers and the vast majority fall into the amateur category. Images posted here come from camera phones through to some fairly high end digital cameras and I suspect even a film shot every so often.

The one thing that is true of most of us is that we are here to learn and better our photographic skills; i.e. make better pictures. This involves everything from planning, to getting out and shooting and finally "polishing" the image our cameras created using post-processing tools.

Here are a couple of images I took with the GX7 while backpacking through South Asia (the main reason I bought the Panasonic). Both images were printed to 17" x 22" size. The main reason I went with the Panasonic was that I already owned a couple of Panasonic lenses that I was using with my pro Panasonic video camera. They had in-lens stabilization. The Olympus bodies (even back in the film days) never felt quite right in my hands.

1. Tiger's Nest Monastery - Bhutan

Olympus OMD EM1 mark 2

2. Shunting the night train to Amritsar, India

Olympus OMD EM1 mark 2

Real Name
    Len

Hi Manfred, the monastery image is quite striking - compliments. Would certainly like to see it in print. As a matter of interest do you have a paper of choice?
    Len.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by LenR View Post
    Hi Manfred, the monastery image is quite striking - compliments. Would certainly like to see it in print. As a matter of interest do you have a paper of choice?
    Len.
    I tend to try different papers, but keep coming back to Epson Hot Press Bright as my "go to" fine rag art paper. I also print a lot using Canson Baryta Photographique as the paper I keep coming back to as my favourite coated paper.

These two prints don't use either of those two papers. The monastery is done using Epson Ultra Premium Photo Luster paper and the train is on Epson Cold Press Bright. The Photo Luster paper is my "go to" paper when I print for others outside if the group that looks for fine art papers. In this case, the print was dry mounted and has a laminated coat, so the surface finish got lost in the mounting process.

Real Name
    Jan van't Veld

Great photographs of the monastery and train!.... Thank you so much for posting those!
    Is photography your prime occupation?
    Out of curiosity, do you think you could better the images if you had used full frame?

Edit.

Just read your profile, very impressive!
    Last edited by Veld; 7th January 2020 at 09:55 PM.

Real Name
    Len

Hi Manfred, Canson Baryta is also my paper of choice although I also use Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and Gold Fibre Gloss for warmer tones.
    Len.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Veld View Post
    Great photographs of the monastery and train!.... Thank you so much for posting those!
    Thank you!

Is photography your prime occupation?
    No, I'm just an amateur hobbyist.

Out of curiosity, do you think you could better the images if you had used full frame?
    Absolutely yes, especially with pro glass; I've done some side by side testing with prints and there is no comparison. A lot of the subtleties and textures do get lost with the smaller sensor.

Even better if I had used a medium format camera. That being said, the larger cameras and gear were not an option. I was living out of a 55 litre backpack for 2 months, so small and light was the only option. The first image was taken in the Himalayas at altitude of 3,120m / 10,240 ft. It was our first full day at altitude and the climb (900 m rise over a couple of kilometer trail) was really tough; fortunately, we left the backpacks at the hotel.

Edit.

Just read your profile, very impressive!
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by LenR View Post
    Hi Manfred, Canson Baryta is also my paper of choice although I also use Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and Gold Fibre Gloss for warmer tones.
    Len.
    I have not tried those Ilford papers. I use Hot Press Natural and Cold Press Natural when I want warmer tones.

The Canson paper is said a bit inconsistent quality wise. The 17" x 22" package I have right now has some markings from the paper making equipment along the one edge, but this gets hidden when I matte the print, so it doesn't bother me too much. A friend has a batch that had a fairly serious dust problems that would sometimes only show up when it flecked off after printing. This is the first problem I've had with the paper, but someone recommended the Epson Baryta as being similar but with less quality issues. I will try that the next time I stock up on baryta paper.

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting. I use Canson Baryta (Photgraphique) a lot and for the most part haven’t had quality problems. I did once find a slight and very small crease, but I assumed that the problem was poor handling on my part. Perhaps not. Other than that one incident, I can’t recall any other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brisbane, Australia (when not travelling)

Hi. I'm also very new to this group and still finding my way round. I am also an (amateur) devoted Olympus user. Like others in this thread, I chose it because of ease of use when travelling/bushwalking/hiking. I currently have the OMD EM5ii. I always remember the quote 'the best camera is the one you have in your hand'. For me, I intend that to be an Olympus for many years to come,

Real Name
    Jan van't Veld

Hi Anne, nice to hear from you... what type of photography do you like? I know it's summertime in your neck of the woods, here we're in the mid of the winter, schools are closed because of a snowstorm......

I'm interested in all kinds of photography, also particularity birds and wildlife.

Are you effected by the fires we're hearing and seeing in the news?... so sorry to see....

Wishing you the best from New Brunswick, Canada

Regards, Jan

Brisbane, Australia (when not travelling)

Hello again. Yes, we are in our hot summer at the moment and the fires have been on everybody's mind. The area where I used to live was badly affected by fire in early December. The more recent ones have been on the East Coast - they have been huge and so destructive. We are currently holidaying several 100ks west and the city we're in has had extreme smoke haze for the last month: on some days you cannot go outside without a mask.
    regarding photography: we do quite a bit of bushwalking/hiking so landscapes go hand in hand with this. I also belong to Flckr where I like to partake in weekly or monthly challenges, which exposes me to a range of subjects and styles. I've just bought a macro lens so will be experimenting with that. If you're interested in having a look, this link should take you to my Flickr account
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/145971609@N04/
    Keep enjoying this expansive hobby that we've embarked on,

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Anne M View Post
    Hello again. Yes, we are in our hot summer at the moment and the fires have been on everybody's mind. The area where I used to live was badly affected by fire in early December. The more recent ones have been on the East Coast - they have been huge and so destructive. We are currently holidaying several 100ks west and the city we're in has had extreme smoke haze for the last month: on some days you cannot go outside without a mask.
    regarding photography: we do quite a bit of bushwalking/hiking so landscapes go hand in hand with this. I also belong to Flckr where I like to partake in weekly or monthly challenges, which exposes me to a range of subjects and styles. I've just bought a macro lens so will be experimenting with that. If you're interested in having a look, this link should take you to my Flickr account
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/145971609@N04/
    Keep enjoying this expansive hobby that we've embarked on,
    I've been doing macro photography for perhaps a decade, and it is one of my favorite types of photography, so I am always happy to have more people on the site who also enjoy it.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi, I'm new to this group. After looking around a bit I didn't see no Olympus / Panasonic users around at all! So I'm curious as to if there are any O/P users on this site? If not, why not?

I'm not a professional, so I'd like opinions......

Thanks, Jan
    Hi Ann + Jan,

I have an Olympus OM2n and probably the best camera I've owned - the Olympus 35RC ( Still use it almost weekly.). Technologically, it was more sophisticated than a number of digital cameras. That camera was decades before its time. Nearest that I've had to a digital Olympus was the Mu 2, a great wee camera. Gave it to my niece around 5/6 years ago...still taking good pictures. Always liked Olympus digital but I'm a Minolta/Sony fan, since the beginning.
    Cheers, Smithy.

Real Name
    Jan van't Veld

How can you insert an image in this?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

How can you insert an image in this?
    You might like to start by looking here: HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast