Thread: High Key Tea

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

High Key Tea

High key studio shot with diffuse overhead lighting through a scrim.

High Key Tea
    Last edited by Manfred M; 17th January 2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added tea drop to spout

Real Name
    Ole

Re: High Key Tea

I like the subdued shadows and I especially like the 'tea drop'- a gentle humour that works. My only whinge is I'd like to see a bit more of the pattern of the teapot lid - not too much though, just a light touch more contrast there. I think it could be tricky because it will unbalance the composition if contrast is enhanced too much.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thinking of this as a lighting exercise, I find the lighting from above works well except for a couple of issues. One is that the top half of the spout almost disappears and the division between the brightly lit top and shaded lower part is too strong.

Also, I wonder if the top edge of the lid of the teapot should be slightly better defined, and also the pattern on the top of the teapot.

It is interesting that the image is not quite monochromatic (even apart from the tea drop). My eyes did not tell me that but, when I opened it in Photoshop and looked at the colour values, it was measurable.

I like the overall concept.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks for the comments Ole and Tony. The reason I posted this one was to get a general reaction. The shot was pretty well SOOC. I've spent a bit of time trying to bring the textures out some more and am considering doing a re-shoot as I'm not satisfied with the textures on the saucer. I was heading into a lighter almost transparent look as I thought that getting it really light would result in an interesting print using Japanese Washi paper, but perhaps I should stick to some of my old favourites like Hot Press Bright.

The little drop on the teapot spout is really a drop of black tea, carefully applied with an eyedropper.

High Key Tea
    Last edited by Manfred M; 19th January 2020 at 12:33 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

The second version is better in my opinion, and agree that the drop of tea really adds to the picture.

Real Name
    André

I really like the second version.

Real Name
    Peter

The texture that you've captured on the teapot and to a lesser extent on the saucer makes the second image the stronger of the two. Well done 👍

Real Name
    Ole

The second image is better. The pattern on the teapot lid is enhanced without going too far and, in my view, the shadows are now better controlled.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Ted

+1 for the second image. Like the ongoing "imperfection" theme too.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 5th February 2020 at 12:02 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree; the second is better. I noticed the cup more even more than the teapot. The ellipse formed by the rim is almost entirely absent in the first.