Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Gregory's Minster.

Real Name
    Peter

St. Gregory's Minster.

I visited this little historic Minster last week. The building is Grade 1 Listed and dates back to at least the ninth century. It has had a number of additions/alterations to the external fabric and interior. One of which is the bell tower on the West end, left end as pictured. The original entrance to the Minster was via a doorway that was at the West end. The current entrance porch was created to replace the one covered via the bell tower.

For anyone who would like to know more of the Minster history this is a LINK to further reading/information

#1 The Minster, showing the different styles of construction/additions/alterations.

St. Gregory's Minster.

#2 The current entrance.

St. Gregory's Minster.

#3 Interior looking East.

St. Gregory's Minster.

#4 The Interior looking East, added to the thread for Bill to peruse.

This is one of the original RAW files used for #3 above with limited post processing. I have only added Lens correction and reduction of highlights applied in Lightroom to this image, I then added the grid in Photoshop.
    Note that I have circled a small element on the image that I missed both during my visit and my previous post processing. I believe that the small object on the edge of the wooden pew end is a trade mark of a master carver "Robert Thompson" AKA Mousey Thompson of Kilburn.
    For those who may be interested this LINK is to the history page of the Mouseman's web site.
    Next time I'm near to the Minster I shall call back into to check to see if it is a carved mouse on the edge of the pew.

St. Gregory's Minster.

#5 The interior looking West, with the entry to the bell tower showing which was the position of the original doorway.

St. Gregory's Minster.

#6 I don't believe that the Gentleman referenced on this plaque features in my Family Tree.

St. Gregory's Minster.
    Last edited by ST1; 12th February 2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Additional image added at #4

Real Name
    John

Re: St. Gregory's Minster.

Nice captures.

Real Name
    Ted

Splendid especially the interesting interiors.

Real Name
    Richard

Great series...

Real Name
    Len

Beautiful little church and yard.
    Ah, to be in Yorkshire...................

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very nice set of images; i choose the first one as my best; yet i have feeling it needs a small counterclockwise rotation?

Real Name
    Dave

Excellent, Peter, both in themselves and as a reminder of the splendid buildings we have around us

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Lovely set of images Peter.

I find some of the shadows a bit too deep and in many cases the fix is little more than moving the Shadows slider to the right a bit harder. That opens up missing detail nicely.

St. Gregory's Minster.

Real Name
    Dan

A very nice series. #2 and 3 are my favorites.

I have one suggestion, but with a caveat: I am at a computer with an uncalibrated monitor, so what I am seeing may be a distorted version of what you posted. With that caveat, it looks to me as though you pushed the saturation or vibrance too far. this seems particularly so in #1, in which the grass looks unnatural to me. But if so, a minor tweak would undo the issue.

I don't know how you edited this, but one way to deal with these issues is to boost vibrance or saturation locally. For example, where I live, it's not unusual to have skies that are somewhat dull. If you wanted to make the blues in the sky more intense without making the grass seem overdone, you could apply the adjustment just to the sky. This can be done easily in Photoshop or Lightroom, although Photoshop offers more control.
    Last edited by DanK; 10th February 2020 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Fantastic.

Interior Looking East is a Ripper.

Bravo.

WW

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    A very nice series. #2 and 3 are my favorites.

I have one suggestion, but with a caveat: I am at a computer with an uncalibrated monitor, so what I am seeing may be a distorted version of what you posted. With that caveat, it looks to me as though you pushed the saturation or vibrance too far. this seems particularly so in #1, in which the grass looks unnatural to me. But if so, a minor tweak would undo the issue.

Hi Dan, I have desaturated the grass in image #1, hopefully it now looks better?
    Thanks for making me look at it with a fresh pair of eyes

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Very nice set of images; i choose the first one as my best; yet i have feeling it needs a small counterclockwise rotation?

Hi Nandakumar, Thanks for looking and commenting.

I have looked at the first image once again, following on from both yours and Dans comments. Dans regarding the green grass of Yorkshire and you thoughts regarding a counter clockwise rotation.
    Whilst I tweaked the grass, when I place horizontal and vertical guidelines on the image using the timbers of the porch for the horizontal and the bell tower for the vertical both of them are correct. However that isn't the case for the two distinct roof lines, I suspect that may be due to the slightly elevated position that I used when making the image. But I could be wrong.

Here's is a different composition showing the two roof lines.

St. Gregory's Minster.
    Last edited by ST1; 10th February 2020 at 08:37 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Lovely set of images Peter.

I find some of the shadows a bit too deep and in many cases the fix is little more than moving the Shadows slider to the right a bit harder. That opens up missing detail nicely.
    Thanks Manfred, I can see the advantage to lifting the shadows in the porch. I did consider bringing the shadows up to show more of the porch. However I didn't do so in that image as I have some images of the interior of the porch as it has some very interesting features that are obscured in this image by the horizontal Oak frames. I will start another thread with some additional images.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Fantastic.

Interior Looking East is a Ripper.

Bravo.

WW

Thank you Bill I appreciate you taking time to look and comment

Real Name
    Peter

Thank you for all of your comments, I really appreciate you taking time to look and comment.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Hi,

I'm fascinated with Interior Architecture, particularly Churches, Mosques and Synagogues.

I think you've posted interior Church shots before - if it is you, then I recall that those also were tremendous shots - we seem to share a similar pursuit.

Anyway ... In your shot of the Interior Looking East – I refer to what seems to be the Quire - are the front sections of those Stalls on a skew, because the floor is on a skew? (i.e the fronts of the two Stalls - one at Image Left Foreground, the other at Image Right extreme Foreground)

WW

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Hi,

I'm fascinated with Interior Architecture, particularly Churches, Mosques and Synagogues.

I think you've posted interior Church shots before - if it is you, then I recall that those also were tremendous shots - we seem to share a similar pursuit.

Anyway ... In your shot of the Interior Looking East – I refer to what seems to be the Quire - are the front sections of those Stalls on a skew, because the floor is on a skew? (i.e the fronts of the two Stalls - one at Image Left Foreground, the other at Image Right extreme Foreground)

WW
    To be honest Bill I’m not sure, I did adjust the verticals using the light coloured wall at the right of the image. That wall edge and the organ pipes in the image appear to be vertical. But I see what you mean about the lean on the end panels of the two stalls.
    I shall have a look at the other raw files to see if it was my processing that created the lean in this image.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    raymond

Terrific series as noted some of the captures could use slight adjustments to enhance the details, I enjoyed the series.

Real Name
    Len

Re: post 17 - I would suspect that sagging flagstones could be the cause of the slanted stalls.
    Once again a great series of images.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    Hi Dan, I have desaturated the grass in image #1, hopefully it now looks better?
    Thanks for making me look at it with a fresh pair of eyes
    It does, at least to me.

I keep coming back to #3. IMHO, that's the best of a good set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast