Thread: Japanese Drummer Girl

Japanese Drummer Girl

Took this pic yesterday at a Japan Day event, here in Auckland. Initially, there was more on the bottom, but I then decided to try a square crop. Thoughts?

Looking afresh at it now, whilst the camera did a pretty good job of fading the drummer at the back, I will probably increase the blur. I have not sharpened yet, but must do the eyes. I see that the catchlights are a semi-circle - this will be the result of the lighting at the venue. I have taken out a lot of background stuff, plus have just decided to take out the small bit of drum at the lady's rear!

Japanese Drummer Girl
    Last edited by Jim A; 10th February 2020 at 03:00 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Japanese Drummer Girl

Nice image Jim. I've always enjoyed listening to the taiko drummers.

You might want to consider burning down that light part of the drum along the left edge of the image. It is a bit of a distraction.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Took this pic yesterday at a Japan Day event, here in Auckland. Initially, there was more on the bottom, but I then decided to try a square crop. Thoughts?

Looking afresh at it now, whilst the camera did a pretty good job of fading the drummer at the back, I will probably increase the blur. I have not sharpened yet, but must do the eyes. I see that the catchlights are a semi-circle - this will be the result of the lighting at the venue. I have taken out a lot of background stuff, plus have just decided to take out the small bit of drum at the lady's rear!
    Two points:

> Noted that you haven't sharpened it, yet there seems quite a few Post Production artefacts. Did you increase the exposure or something similar, i.e. was the raw file a bit dark/underexposed? If yes, then I have a theory.

> If you want to keep the square crop, consider just going a bit tighter, (from bottom LH corner), doing so gets a stronger diagonal line (top left to bottom right) and also removes the drum behind the Subject's bottom, e.g.:

Japanese Drummer Girl

WW

Real Name
    raymond

The cropped version is easier on the eye, well done.