Thread: Roll Feed for Epson P800

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Roll Feed for Epson P800

When I bought my Epson P800 about 18 months ago, I also bought the roll feed attachment.

I just was not happy enough with my printing skills to want to go larger than A2 / 17" x 22" paper; which is pretty big, after all. Today, I finally "bit the bullet" and loaded a roll of Canson Baryta Photgraphique and ran a 17" x 34" / 43cm x 86cm print.

Some thoughts on large prints:

1. While large prints look impressive, the underlying photo has to be tack sharp and any retouching has to be meticulous as problems show up as one scales up. A large sensor (full-frame camera or shooting a smaller sensor camera and stitching an image) are important

2. Feeding the paper is NOT as easy as is claimed in the Epson videos. The paper curls in the wrong direction to get picked up by the feed mechanism. Putting a reverse curl on the front of the paper looks like it works... I do like the cut line that the printer applies to the paper, if one requests it from the printer's touch screen.

3. Handling an oversized piece of cut paper is a bit of a challenge, especially if one is trying to avoid kinking or ripping it.

4. My matte cutter right at the limit for 40" matte board. My paper cutter is a few inches too short. That part of the operation is going to take some care.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Roll Feed for Epson P800

Sounds like ......fun!

Don't think I'll ever want to go to roll paper, but if I do I will remember your advice.