Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh, no! Oncoming GAS attack

Real Name
    Philip

Re: Oh, no! Oncoming GAS attack

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    By the artist who is a leading exponent of Deadpan. I think it is a haunting image.

Remember, the original is 190 cm × 360 cm (73 in × 143 in).
    Yes, many of the prints from Andreas Gursky are very large and very detailed. I have not seen an exhibition but this link gives some idea of how impressive they must be on full view:

https://www.andreasgursky.com/en/exh...ayward-gallery

Philip

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Yes, Gursky studied under Hilla and Berndt Becher (the water tower, mine headstock, cooling tower photographers) and is well recognized as one of the leaders of the post-photographic genre. Deadpan, that Donald mentions is part of that movement; very emotionless image making with very flat lighting; essentially recording what is there.

Size does matter and a number of well know photographers are making monster sized prints using both chromogenic and inkjet processes.

It's a style I've started working in to try to understand it better and a number of images that I've posted here over the past year fall into this genre.

I think the most extreme version of the expansiveness of art I have seen lately is this:
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ma...lained-1732773

Yes, it's a banana duct taped to a wall. I sold for $120,000. Apparently the value in the work was not so much the materials, or how they were combined, but the social debate that was created by it... and there certainly was quite a bit - especially when the artist peeled the centrepiece off the wall and ate it! He replaced it with a fresh fruit later...

The value we put on items regarded as art is an amazing thing...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123