Thread: Small Birds

Real Name
    André

Small Birds

I went for a hike on one of our local trails with my grandson yesterday. We brought some sunflower seeds and he fed some wild birds that are obviously used to being hand fed.

#1 Nuthatch
    Small Birds

#2 Chickadee
    Small Birds

#3 Chickadee on wooden bench
    Small Birds

I have been out of practice for a while so all comments will be most welcomed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Small Birds

I was out (cameraless) with my wife along the Old Quarry Trail in Kanata and got a lot of dirty looks from some of the birds there that were obviously used to being fed. We did not feed them, I suspect that resulted in some of the dirty looks.

Some nice memories here, André.

Real Name
    Richard

When I was shooting my chicken pictures, My Chickens my hens were picking grapes (which they love) out of my hand. Obviously, the hens did not land in my hand, but rather came up and plucked the grapes from my palm. I tried capturing that with the last few grapes that I had with me but, the girls were too fast...

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    When I was shooting my chicken pictures, My Chickens my hens were picking grapes (which they love) out of my hand. Obviously, the hens did not land in my hand, but rather came up and plucked the grapes from my palm. I tried capturing that with the last few grapes that I had with me but, the girls were too fast...
    I don't know much about chickens but I would say that the chickadees take less than one second to land, pick a seed and take off again. I got a handfull of acceptable shots out of close to 100 attempts.

Real Name
    Bill

Wow - how lucky you got with the domesticed wildlife. Purists may quibble but bottom line is that these (espicially the superb first one) are great shots.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Wow - how lucky you got with the domesticed wildlife. Purists may quibble but bottom line is that these (espicially the superb first one) are great shots.
    We do tend to take for granted the things that are readily available to us. The nature trails around Ottawa are measured in hundreds of kilometers and are all well used by the local population. Feeding the wild birds is very common although I seldom do it myself but I don't think that it is detrimental to the bird. It is an entirely different situation for the wild squirrels who seem to be genetically programmed to eat as much as the can at this time of the year. The result is grossly obese squirrels and that can't be good for them.
    I am glad that you enjoyed the pictures of the birds.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice images