Thread: Poles

Real Name
    Grahame

Poles

Over the past few weeks I had been viewing this landfill area for a new bridge construction and considering its potential for some shots. Arriving before the sun set to scout the area the only reasonable position I could find as anticipated was on the existing bridge which even bounces when runners cross it, let alone the lorries and busses

So timing exposures between traffic and runners out for their exercise I shot away.

16mm, f/16, 8sec (my last as the light fell), ISO100, 23 mins after sunset

Poles

This is only a quick edit and I keep feeling there's a better crop here although obviously the pole left front should go.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Poles

Nice blue hour colors and composition.

That taller pole at left in the mid-ground draws my eye a bit. Were you going to crop out the aforementioned pole at left front?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Nice blue hour colors and composition.

That taller pole at left in the mid-ground draws my eye a bit. Were you going to crop out the aforementioned pole at left front?
    Thank you Ted.

Yes, the pole front left can be cropped out and that tall one you mention easily shortened. In addition that horizontal one at the 'exit' can be removed.

Real Name
    John

Nicely captured.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

very nice

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Very strong image, Grahame. Keeping those darn cars and runners out of a shot can be challenging.

The composition is strong and the light from Blue Hour is sublime. Your timing on this one is right on. I don't find the piling that crosses the horizon in the middle ground distracting, but rather it connects the two parts of the image. When I frame shots like this one, I generally try to get aspects like that into my composition. The long exposure works as you have softened the water a bit, but not enough that it looks too obvious.

That being said, I agree about the piling on the left in the foreground (and its reflection in the water); cropping it out makes sense to me. I wonder about the sky as well; there are those yellow and purple tones in the lower half that complement the sea. The blue that is higher up does not do as much for me and I suspect a bit of a crop there might give you a stronger image.

Poles

Real Name
    Nandakumar

So beautiful....

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post

This is only a quick edit and I keep feeling there's a better crop here although obviously the pole left front should go.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
    I suggest a more radical crop to remove about a third from the left. Cut the frame vertically, right through the middle of the gap between the two rows of poles. You will then have a strong zig-zag structure beginning with the weed under the water and then following the line of the poles into the sunset.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely captured.
    Thank you John.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    very nice
    Thank you Peter.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Very strong image, Grahame. Keeping those darn cars and runners out of a shot can be challenging.

The composition is strong and the light from Blue Hour is sublime. Your timing on this one is right on. I don't find the piling that crosses the horizon in the middle ground distracting, but rather it connects the two parts of the image. When I frame shots like this one, I generally try to get aspects like that into my composition. The long exposure works as you have softened the water a bit, but not enough that it looks too obvious.

That being said, I agree about the piling on the left in the foreground (and its reflection in the water); cropping it out makes sense to me. I wonder about the sky as well; there are those yellow and purple tones in the lower half that complement the sea. The blue that is higher up does not do as much for me and I suspect a bit of a crop there might give you a stronger image.
    Thanks Manfred.

I agree about the sky and will crop some. This sky colour variation with regard to water reflection is something I often come across and at times have spent time trying to 'balance' it without success but in this instance your idea solves it.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    So beautiful....
    Thanks Nandakumar.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I suggest a more radical crop to remove about a third from the left. Cut the frame vertically, right through the middle of the gap between the two rows of poles. You will then have a strong zig-zag structure beginning with the weed under the water and then following the line of the poles into the sunset.
    Good idea Greg, I'll make a separate image of that crop.

Real Name
    Grahame

One of the problems I find when you have taken a number of exposures of the same scene over a short time and as in this case just with varying speeds I waste too much time playing with them.

So these are my final two favourites

No 1
    Poles

No 2
    Poles

Grahame

Real Name
    David

Gorgeous colours and I do like the tighter crop on the sky in No1 of your latest post.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    Gorgeous colours and I do like the tighter crop on the sky in No1 of your latest post.
    Thank you David. The colours that can be manipulated from shooting at this hour can be fun