Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunsets - Sometimes they are difficult to resist

Real Name
    Grahame

Sunsets - Sometimes they are difficult to resist

Having been out with a long lens to see if anything useful could be achieved with this driftwood tree with a high tide I gave up and decided to watch the sunset. As the sun approached the horizon the clouds started clearing, a few clouds turned to yellow and the watchers phone camera flashes started triggering.

As the sun dipped below the horizon all but one of the watchers disappeared, whether he was sat there wondering why I only then started taking pictures or knew what was going to happen I do not know.

Taken with the 80-400 Nikon, Lee .9 Med Grad, Daylight WB and hardly altered in post, NIK Pro Contrast to give some pop and a bit of Viveza Structure here and there. And a very obliging tern posing for me

No 1 - 98mm, f/14, 1/10s - Official Sunset time

No 2 - 155mm, f/14, 8 sec

No 3 - 80mm, f/14, 25 sec

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

Grahame
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 9th March 2020 at 09:10 AM.

Real Name
    Paul David

Re: Sunsets - Sometimes they are difficult to resist

Grahame, nicely done. Was the ND a reverse grad?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Wonderful...really wonderful !!!

Real Name
    Richard

Nicely done... IMO. a good sunset/sunrise picture depends as much on the foreground interest as on the spectacular color of the sunset/sunrise itself. I normally don't shoot sunset/sunrise images except as an adjunct to a good looking landscape/seascape view...

Marvellous images.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by LePetomane View Post
    Grahame, nicely done. Was the ND a reverse grad?
    Thanks Paul.

This was a standard grad but a reverse grad is on my shopping list for the rare occasions like this.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Wonderful...really wonderful !!!
    Thanks Nandakumar

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Nicely done... IMO. a good sunset/sunrise picture depends as much on the foreground interest as on the spectacular color of the sunset/sunrise itself. I normally don't shoot sunset/sunrise images except as an adjunct to a good looking landscape/seascape view...
    Thank you Richard.

I fully agree regarding foregrounds. My aim if possible with this scene is to get up close to that log with a wide angle and have a sky similar to this at exactly the right tide level. Problems will be timing and light level on the log.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Marvellous images.
    Thank you Rita

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Lovely, just lovely.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Grahame - what you have done well is to shot an interesting scene that would likely work well, regardless of the lighting and then added a beautiful sunset to it. That, in my opinion, is why these images work so well.

Shoot just the sunset, as many people do, the image is not nearly as strong.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Lovely, just lovely.
    Thank you Peter

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Grahame - what you have done well is to shot an interesting scene that would likely work well, regardless of the lighting and then added a beautiful sunset to it. That, in my opinion, is why these images work so well.

Shoot just the sunset, as many people do, the image is not nearly as strong.
    Thanks Manfred.

For general info regarding PP with some of these .................................

Some time ago I had read that in ACR there is a greater adjustment range available within the 'Brush' tools than what can be achieved in the normal 'Global' tools, but had not previously bothered to investigate this seriously.

As some of these had obvious red channel clipping in the bright yellow areas closest to the sun, No 1 image as a good example, I undertook some testing.

Opening two copies of the same No 1 raw file in ACR with both selected, I placed a colour picker in the area that was shown as clipped. This would then read the same area of both images when opened independently to allow reading comparisons.

On the first image in the 'global' panel I reduced the 'whites' slider by -100 and this changed the sample figure from 255,159,64 to 246,149,59. A large portion of that area still showed highlight clipping.

On the second image in the 'brush' panel I reduced the 'whites' slider by -100 and then painted this over the entire image at 100% flow and density and this changed the sample figure from 255,159,64 to 201,123,50. The entire area then showed no highlight clipping.

Whilst I'm not sure why or how this is achieved it certainly enables far greater control and adjustment of clipped areas that are so difficult to manage at capture time.

Further investigation has shown that this increased adjustment range is only available with the 'whites' and 'blacks' sliders and functions in both 'brush' and 'gradient' modes.

Real Name
    raymond

Terrific captures and PP done extremely keenly , thus a final image of strength that leaves the spectator in awe.

Beautiful shots and with great balance.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    Terrific captures and PP done extremely keenly , thus a final image of strength that leaves the spectator in awe.
    Thanks Raymond

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Beautiful shots and with great balance.
    Thank you Trevor,

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Thanks Manfred.

For general info regarding PP with some of these .................................

Some time ago I had read that in ACR there is a greater adjustment range available within the 'Brush' tools than what can be achieved in the normal 'Global' tools, but had not previously bothered to investigate this seriously.

As some of these had obvious red channel clipping in the bright yellow areas closest to the sun, No 1 image as a good example, I undertook some testing.

Opening two copies of the same No 1 raw file in ACR with both selected, I placed a colour picker in the area that was shown as clipped. This would then read the same area of both images when opened independently to allow reading comparisons.

On the first image in the 'global' panel I reduced the 'whites' slider by -100 and this changed the sample figure from 255,159,64 to 246,149,59. A large portion of that area still showed highlight clipping.

On the second image in the 'brush' panel I reduced the 'whites' slider by -100 and then painted this over the entire image at 100% flow and density and this changed the sample figure from 255,159,64 to 201,123,50. The entire area then showed no highlight clipping.

Whilst I'm not sure why or how this is achieved it certainly enables far greater control and adjustment of clipped areas that are so difficult to manage at capture time.

Further investigation has shown that this increased adjustment range is only available with the 'whites' and 'blacks' sliders and functions in both 'brush' and 'gradient' modes.
    When faced with this type of scene, I will often resort to exposure bracketing; at usually +2 0 -2 stops. That gives me enough data to be able to put out the highlights and bring out more shadow detail, should the single exposure not have the detail to do this. I will stack the three images in Photoshop and use a layer mask to reveal the data I am looking for. That way I'm not too concerned about not being able to integrate those areas into my image.

A tripod makes this easy, but I find that even when hand-holding, I can be steady enough to get overlap in the critical areas of the image.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    When faced with this type of scene, I will often resort to exposure bracketing; at usually +2 0 -2 stops. That gives me enough data to be able to put out the highlights and bring out more shadow detail, should the single exposure not have the detail to do this. I will stack the three images in Photoshop and use a layer mask to reveal the data I am looking for. That way I'm not too concerned about not being able to integrate those areas into my image.
    Generally I do not shoot directly into the sun for my seascapes hence the scene contrast is lower and processing is straight froward. On this occasion it would have been easy to bracket but I overlooked it but it's given me a chance to explore processing at extremes further in ACR.

Today I delved into the ACR brush colour and luminance range masking tool after it was covered in the recent beach/fence posting and have now found that the tree log that I had left in almost full silhouette in the above images is recoverable with a few minutes work.

Not a finished image, just an example of what was hidden under those shadows

As for that tree of which I had been planning the timing for further shots, it's now drifted inshore and sits right next to what was an old drainage pipe

Real Name
    Sharon

just beautiful. you have taken more than just a sunset grahame. thank you for sharing, happy you did. wonderful work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast