Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: LR=>PS=>LR problem

Real Name
    Dan

LR=>PS=>LR problem

In the past, when I passed a photo from LR to Photoshop, edited it, and passed it back using Save rather than Save As, the edited issue appeared in the LR catalog with EDIT added to the file name. For some reason, this is now only happening when the image starts out as raw. When I send a file that is already TIFF to PS and edit and save it, the software now overwrites the original TIF file, which I don't want. I have no idea why; I didn't change any settings myself. My guess is that they were changed by an update.

Oddly enough, when I renamed the edited file in LR and then manually added back the original TIFF to the directory, LR would find the "new" file but wouldn't import it.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

EDIT: I figured it out, but this seems to be new behavior. If you select "edit with LR adjustments," even if you have made no adjustments in LR, it does not overwrite the original TIFF and saves a new one with edit tacked onto the name. If you say "edit original", it overwrites the file. I had never noticed this before.
    Last edited by DanK; 13th March 2020 at 09:06 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: LR=>PS=>LR problem

I use LR mainly for cataloguing and PS for most editing. I must say I find the whole LR principle of not changing the original file but storing edits in some kind of virtual copy very confusing.

If I edit a file in any application I am well aware of the difference between Save and Save As, and am capable of creating a new file name if I do not want the original to be altered.

I rarely use the "open with" command from LR and prefer to open files directly in PS and edit and save them as I deem fit.

Real Name
    Dan

Peter,

When one has opened an image in photoshop from LR via the edit-in command, the save and save as options in photoshop don't work quite like those choices do normally in windows. That was the source of my question.

Save As is as it normally is: it gives you the choice of location and file name. The additional wrinkle is that if you use Save As, the edited image will not automatically go into the LR catalog. If you use Save, it will.

The larger difference from normal Windows operation is that much of the time, Save does change the file name and does not overwrite the original file, whereas in other Windows apps, it leaves the name and overwrites the file. I was used to that and find it very helpful, for reasons that I'll describe in a moment. What puzzled me is that suddenly, Save was behaving as it normally does in windows, leaving the name unchanged and overwriting the file.

I find the LR=>PS=>LR cycle via edit-in and Save, where a new image with a new file name is stored next to the original, very helpful. For example, I'll often have the original raw files files in the filmstrip with a composite TIFF from Zerene next to them. I then send the image to PS and save it when done, which results in an edited version of the composite (with Edit in the file name as I have PS set up) next to it. I can have several of these if I am uncertain about trying additional edits with other software, say, Nik or Topaz. Moreover, LR keeps the soft proof copies of any of these right next to them. If I have an image proofed for several papers, the soft proof copies are lined up in the filmstrip. In some cases, I have yet more copies because I use a virtual copy to try a different set of parametric edits. I usually do this, for example, when I convert to B&W. I find this organization quite helpful. However, it's all a matter of personal preference, of course.

Dan

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Peter,

Save As is as it normally is: it gives you the choice of location and file name. The additional wrinkle is that if you use Save As, the edited image will not automatically go into the LR catalog. If you use Save, it will.
    Save As means "create a new file with a new name". As such it wont be in the LR catalogue until you import it.

The larger difference from normal Windows operation is that much of the time, Save does change the file name and does not overwrite the original file, whereas in other Windows apps, it leaves the name and overwrites the file. I was used to that and find it very helpful, for reasons that I'll describe in a moment. What puzzled me is that suddenly, Save was behaving as it normally does in windows, leaving the name unchanged and overwriting the file.
    Whenever I Save an image in PS it does not change the file name. This is true even if opened in PS from LR using the Open With command. Maybe have a look at your settings. When I right click a LR catalogue image and choose "edit in" it gives me three options :

1.copy with LR adjustments
    2.copy
    3. original

I always choose 3

Real Name
    Dan

LR=>PS=>LR problem

That choice is the key. See the last paragraph of my OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

That choice is the key. See the last paragraph of my OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aha. Yes, I seem to remember that Photoshop Elements was very keen to create saved copies with the suffix _edited.

I am sure there is a way round it if you persevere. I still think the LR virtual edit system is likely to lead to confusion. This kind of proves my point

Real Name
    Yes

I just use save as to save to the original image folder with a new name. Then when I return to lightroom synchronise the folder to put it into the catalogue

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    I just use save as to save to the original image folder with a new name. Then when I return to lightroom synchronise the folder to put it into the catalogue

I've done that as well, although I find it convenient to have LR bring it in automatically. Since I sometimes rename them anyway, it might be just as simple to do what you do.