Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pink Carnations

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Pink Carnations

Andre,

Glad this was a productive interchange.

A thought re the red channel: I have found that intense reds are often a problem in flower photography. I've done two things in response. First, I always chimp using all three histograms and keep the red a ways from the top. Second, this is one case where luminosity-only contrast adjustments can be helpful. In fact, it was a loss of detail in this photo 9 years ago that led me to investigate that option:

Pink Carnations

Conventional processing with an RGB curve blew out details in the reds because my contrast adjustment was also increasing saturation.

Dan

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Andre,

Glad this was a productive interchange.

A thought re the red channel: I have found that intense reds are often a problem in flower photography. I've done two things in response. First, I always chimp using all three histograms and keep the red a ways from the top. Second, this is one case where luminosity-only contrast adjustments can be helpful. In fact, it was a loss of detail in this photo 9 years ago that led me to investigate that option:

Pink Carnations

Conventional processing with an RGB curve blew out details in the reds because my contrast adjustment was also increasing saturation.

Dan
    Beautiful!

Here is my first "properly stacked" image. I used the DMax algorithm and it was noticeably different from the PMax. I am going to enjoy this new found skill.

Pink Carnations

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Ted & Dan,
    I am beginning to think that my communication skills may not be as good as I though they were. Both of you missed a point that I was trying to make on two different topics. Ted on the window being a diffused light source and Dan on the use of a scrim as suggested by Manfred. <>
    Thanks for the clarifications and please excuse the big clip.

Later, I found this article which may be of use re: diffusion of light, shadows, scrims, etc:

https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/...-photographer/

HTH
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 16th March 2020 at 06:11 PM.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Thanks for the clarifications and please excuse the big clip.

Later, I found this article which may be of use re: diffusion of light, shadows, scrims, etc:

https://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/...-photographer/

HTH
    Its all good Ted. We're too old to waste energy getting upset!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12