Thread: Winter Scene

Real Name
    André

Winter Scene

I took this photo late in the afternoon towards the end of december last year. It was, as far as I remember, the first time that I shot a landscape with the intention of framing it in a square format. I am pleased with the result and now that I have more time on my hand, I plan to print it as large as my printer will allow.
    I am trying to decide if I should lighten up the band of dark trees in the background to bring out more details in that area. I am also toying with the idea of cooling the white balance slightly before printing the picture. I would welcome your opinions on these or any other point that you care to provide.

Winter Scene

André

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Winter Scene

Beautiful image.... the only thing i want to point out is the blurry look of the bush seen in between the trees....it may not be appearing that way in the enlarged image, i suppose.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

1. I would definitely open up the dark areas of the brush to bring out the texture. That is the first thing I noticed in the shot.

2. The warm of the scene is easy to test; see if you like it better a touch cooler or a touch warmer and let your personal taste decide.

3. I find the bright blue sky distracting and it takes away from the image, in my view. I know it will take away from the square crop, but I feel you will have a stronger image with most of it missing. The "ideal" crop will likely leave a bit of blue sky in the top left corner. If it were my image, I would look at cloning / filling that area out.

Real Name
    Ted

In addition to the "bright blue sky", I also found the mid-foreground bright snow with high-contrast footprints drawing the eye. With the Tree-farm theme, I rather fancied a Christmas postcard look.

Winter Scene
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 20th March 2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Personal note removed

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Beautiful image.... the only thing i want to point out is the blurry look of the bush seen in between the trees....it may not be appearing that way in the enlarged image, i suppose.
    Thanks Nandakumar.
    As far as I can tell, the whole picture is sharp on the full size image.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    1. I would definitely open up the dark areas of the brush to bring out the texture. That is the first thing I noticed in the shot.

2. The warm of the scene is easy to test; see if you like it better a touch cooler or a touch warmer and let your personal taste decide.

3. I find the bright blue sky distracting and it takes away from the image, in my view. I know it will take away from the square crop, but I feel you will have a stronger image with most of it missing. The "ideal" crop will likely leave a bit of blue sky in the top left corner. If it were my image, I would look at cloning / filling that area out.
    Excellent advice as usual.
    I hadn't given much thought to the blue sky. I will definitely experiment with changing it. Framing be damned.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    In addition to the "bright blue sky", I also found the mid-foreground bright snow with high-contrast footprints drawing the eye. With the Tree-farm theme, I rather fancied a Christmas postcard look - pardon the unusual edit, André

Winter Scene
    I guess that "subtil" is not your middle name

The photo was taken at a Christmas tree farm; hence the filename

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    Excellent advice as usual.
    I hadn't given much thought to the blue sky. I will definitely experiment with changing it. Framing be damned.
    Just a quick & dirty shot at this:

Winter Scene

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Round Tuit View Post
    I guess that "subtil" is not your middle name
    Correct.

The photo was taken at a Christmas tree farm; hence the filename
    Gosh, I would never have guessed ...