Thread: On Camera Monitor - possibilities

Real Name
    Grahame

On Camera Monitor - possibilities

One of the problems I often come across is that I'm unable to view the rear LCD when using it at a low level. Working often on wet/muddy/sandy/salty ground is not ideal to lie on.

I had been considering purchasing a camera with a tiltable rear screen but have shelved this at present until flying to civilisation is an option.

It appears there are two possibilities to do this, a dedicated simple/cheap 'on camera monitor' or using a 'mobile phone'. All I want to be able to see on this is the framing of the image I have taken and the blinkies/histogram and am not interested in 'remote control' of the camera with it.

At present I don't own a smart phone (mines dumb but an antique) and am wondering if anyone has experience of using a phone for undertaking this ?

Real Name
    Yes

Re: On Camera Monitor - possibilities

Yes I use an android tablet and an android phone. I use Canon cameras. For tthose with wifi I often use Canon's camera connect, for older cameras I use DSLR controller which also gives more control. Buth these of course are Canon specific, but I suspect similar for Nikon can be found.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    Yes I use an android tablet and an android phone. I use Canon cameras. For tthose with wifi I often use Canon's camera connect, for older cameras I use DSLR controller which also gives more control. Buth these of course are Canon specific, but I suspect similar for Nikon can be found.
    Thanks for that info it has been useful.

I'm using Nikons and neither has WiFi so cable connection is anticipated.

I had a look at the 'DSLR Controller' (which is for Canon) you mentioned and it had a some very useful information regarding device connection compatibility and cable requirements that I'm studying.

Evidently not all is straightforward; "Some Android devices have trouble connecting by USB, especially older and cheap ones. As a rule of thumb, all medium-to-high-end big-brand devices from 2015 onward should be fine, when using the appropriate USB host connector (see the Cables section at the bottom of this page)."

As I have an old Galaxy 7" Tab 3 Android device (too big for what I want in field) I'll see if I can get the cables and adaptor to trial this with one of the Apps for Nikons.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Grahame - I do shoot tethered when working in a studio-like setting.

A number of years back, I tried a number of different tools to try to tether to my smart phone or tablet. To suggest that my success rate was not good; nicely said the hardware / software combinations did not work. Tethering to a laptop running Capture One is my preferred solution (Lightroom connectivity was a bit hit and miss as the connection is not as stable as I would like). That is going to be a bit large and awkward for what you are trying to do.

My Panasonic GX-7 has built-in tethering to a SmartPhone and I have used that occasionally and it also has a tilting screen, so that option works too.

What did work well, albeit a bit expensive, with both my D800 and D810 is using a CamRanger (1st generation) with either a phone or tablet. It does give remote control, which you don't want.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Grahame - I do shoot tethered when working in a studio-like setting.

A number of years back, I tried a number of different tools to try to tether to my smart phone or tablet. To suggest that my success rate was not good; nicely said the hardware / software combinations did not work. Tethering to a laptop running Capture One is my preferred solution (Lightroom connectivity was a bit hit and miss as the connection is not as stable as I would like). That is going to be a bit large and awkward for what you are trying to do.

My Panasonic GX-7 has built-in tethering to a SmartPhone and I have used that occasionally and it also has a tilting screen, so that option works too.

What did work well, albeit a bit expensive, with both my D800 and D810 is using a CamRanger (1st generation) with either a phone or tablet. It does give remote control, which you don't want.
    I'll try and find an adaptor today Manfred to see if I can get the tablet working and if successful look at the ease of use with a few apps, the priority being simplicity and speed of use. If I have success I can then look closer at phones.

There are plenty of basic monitors around US$150 that also have the advantage of easily attaching to the flash mount but with almost all flights now stopped delivery from abroad could take some time.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Thanks for that info it has been useful.

I'm using Nikons and neither has WiFi so cable connection is anticipated.

I had a look at the 'DSLR Controller' (which is for Canon) you mentioned and it had a some very useful information regarding device connection compatibility and cable requirements that I'm studying.

Evidently not all is straightforward; "Some Android devices have trouble connecting by USB, especially older and cheap ones. As a rule of thumb, all medium-to-high-end big-brand devices from 2015 onward should be fine, when using the appropriate USB host connector (see the Cables section at the bottom of this page)."

As I have an old Galaxy 7" Tab 3 Android device (too big for what I want in field) I'll see if I can get the cables and adaptor to trial this with one of the Apps for Nikons.
    Nikon WiFi is coming, certainly if you win the lottery, its on the latest D6. However, I understand your requirement for a tilting rear screen for your low level shots.

Auto control Cam Ranger 2 might have some functionality for you as it works with Nikon and both iOS and Android.

HTH

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post

I had been considering purchasing a camera with a tiltable rear screen
    I have found the flexible screen on my camera to be great , not only for low level work but also for high level too. Even at normal height it can be useful to turn it right/left to avoid sun glare. I understand the advantages of a tethered monitor but in the field (or stream) that can be impractical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmluFxZDzC8